This Lemon Raspberry Buckle is the perfect summer dessert that is easy to make with simple ingredients. The buttery cake is loaded with seasonal raspberries and has a fresh taste with lemon zest!
Summer is a great time to bake with fresh fruit and today's dessert is one that you should keep handy as it is so simple to make and so delicious!
I'm technically labeling it a dessert but it would also be great as a breakfast treat. Just call over some friends or neighbors, put a pot of coffee on and enjoy. Who's ready to start baking?
The ingredients for this recipe are pretty simple:
- Flour: use basic all-purpose
- Baking Powder: helps the cake rise
- Butter: I used salted butter but if you would prefer to use unsalted, do that and then add ½ teaspoon of salt
- Eggs: use out of refrigerator or at room temperature
- Sugar: use white granulated
- Ricotta: I used a third cup of whole milk ricotta to give the cake some extra moistness - this could be an optional ingredient
- Lemon: zest one lemon
- Raspberries: use fresh and not frozen for the recipe
How to make this recipe
Step 1: in a medium bowl add the sugar and soft butter
Step 2: use a mixer to combine the sugar and butter until it is light and fluffy
Step 3: once the sugar/butter mixture is done, add the eggs one at a time beating well after each
Step 4: add the ricotta cheese and mix well
Step 5: add in the zest of one lemon and mix well then set aside
Step 6: in a small bowl whisk the flour and baking powder together
Step 7: starting adding the flour a little bit at a time to the cake batter
Step 8: continue to add flour and mix well
Step 9: add some of the fresh raspberries to the cake batter
Step 10: carefully fold in the raspberries keeping them whole and not broken (or your batter will turn red)
Once the cake batter is mixed, spread it in a buttered baking dish and place the remaining raspberries on top. Bake the Lemon Raspberry Buckle at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
What is a buckle dessert?
Are you curious? Why not just call it a cake right? Well, the name comes from the appearance of the cake once it is baked. It is a single layer cake but by placing some fruit in the batter and some on top, it gives it a "buckled" or indented look.
- Pro Tip - when adding the fresh fruit to the batter, gently fold it in so the berries don't break and turn your batter a red color (do not use a mixer)
- Feel free to substitute other fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries or even fresh peaches - recipe not tested with frozen fruit
- Be sure to let the cake cool before dusting with powdered sugar or it will melt into the warm cake (but hey that is OK too!)
- If you use unsalted butter, be sure to add ½ teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture
- This cake is best served the day it is made. To store place plastic wrap on baking dish and keep on counter for an additional two days.
Tools used in the recipe
More summer berry recipes
- Blackberry Crumble
- Triple Berry Galette
- Blueberry Peach Cobbler
- Blackberry Hand Pies
- Breakfast Fruit Pastries
Get the Recipe
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup ricotta cheese (whole milk)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 lemon zested
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish and set aside (or use 2 1 quart dishes)
- In a medium bowl cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Mix in ricotta cheese and lemon zest
- Add in one egg at a time beating well after each
- In a small bowl whisk the flour and baking powder together
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar/butter mixture - mixing well after each additional
- Add about 1 cup of the raspberries to the batter by gently folding it in so that berries don't break
- Spread batter in baking dish and top with the remaining berries
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out with a few crumbs
SEE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS IN RECIPE POST
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 4gSugar: 42gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
I was inspired to make this dessert with my own spin at Ideas from Hallmark