This summery crisp-like dessert tart is loaded with fresh, sweet blackberries tossed with lemon zest and nestled in a buttery crumb base and topping. Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Is it a crisp or a cobbler - this Blackberry Crumble is a bit of both!
Summer means that fresh berries are in season and besides just eating them plain, you can bake them in yummy desserts.
Let's get started with this recipe and see below for other delicious berry recipes I have to share with you!
Step 1: in a medium bowl place the flour
Step 2: add sugar, baking powder, salt and mix well
Step 3: add cold cubed butter to the flour mixture
Step 4: use a pastry cutter or your hands to mix until it resembles coarse crumbs
Step 5: add an egg, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar; stir
Step 6: combine until a soft dough ball forms
Step 7: in a medium bowl place blackberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and cornstarch
Step 8: gently mix and set aside until ready to use
Step 9: divide dough into 8ths; press dough in (4) 5" tart pans; top with ¼ of blackberry mixture
Step 10: on each tart pan crumble the dough on top (use ⅛ dough) and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes
Remove the Blackberry Crumble tarts when the tops are golden brown and the blackberries are bubbling. Note to bake them on a cookie sheet so the filling doesn't drip in your oven.
- PRO TIP - bake on a cookie sheet so that you don't get a drippy mess in your oven
- if you do not have unsalted butter, use salted but then do not add additional salt as stated in recipe
- make sure butter is cold when adding to flour mixture
- make the dough a day ahead and let come to room temperature to assemble tarts
- use fresh blackberries as frozen ones could be too watery
- this dessert could also be made in a 2 quart baking dish - you may need to increase baking time about 5 minutes
- feel free to substitute fresh blueberries or raspberries - even a mixture of any of these will work!
Fresh out of the oven!
Let's place a scoop of ice cream on top!
Tools used in this recipe
More berry recipes
- Fresh Blackberry Hand Pies
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Triple Berry Galette
- Mini Blueberry Lemon Pies
- Blackberry Mint Gin Bramble
Get the Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cut into small cubes (keep cold)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt then use a pastry blender to cut in the cold cubed butter until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Add the egg, vanilla and vinegar - stir until it forms a dough and everything is fully incorporated
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces
- Place 4 of the dough balls into 4 5" baking dishes (see recipe)
- In a medium bowl combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and cornstarch by gently stirring
- Place 1 cup of the filling onto each tart pan
- On each tart pan place ⅛ of the dough on top by using your fingers to crumble it up
- Place tarts on baking sheet
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown and bubbly
- Cool about 30 minutes on a rack
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Please see recipe post for step by step instructions
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 816Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 113gFiber: 10gSugar: 58gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
I was inspired to make this recipe from Kitchen Confidante.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!