Enjoy this Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Appetizer for your next party, game day or happy hour. The smoky ham and cheese are nestled inside a flaky puff pastry roll that has a honey Dijon mustard spread. Absolutely delicious!
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Appetizer
Do you recall the last post I did where I shared Pumpkin Spice Pinwheels using puff pastry? I had mentioned that I only used one sheet of the pastry and would be sharing a savory recipe recipe with the other half.
Well, today is the day with these tasty appetizers. Since there are only two of us in the house, making a large batch of anything is sometimes just way too much. Using the two puff pastry sheets to make a savory and sweet treat is perfect!
These easy to make appetizers will be a great hit at any party or gathering.
I’m thinking you will love the melty cheese, the tanginess of the Dijon mustard with a tad of sweetness with honey and the way the ham edges get a bit crispy when baking.
What ingredients are needed for ham and cheese puff pastry pinwheels?
- Thinly sliced ham
- Thinly sliced Harvati cheese
- Dijon mustard
- Parmesan cheese
- Puff Pastry
- Dill weed
I have a confession to make, I think I could have done a better job of rolling these up. It may have been that my cheese wasn’t as thin as it could have been so next time I will definitely make sure I get the thinnest I can find.
See how there is a gap near the middle? Don’t get me wrong though, they still taste great!
How do you make ham and cheese puff pastry pinwheels?
First, defrost your puffed pastry and roll into a 12×12″ square. Mix the Dijon mustard, dried dill weed and honey and spread onto the pastry.
Layer the thin ham over the spread, then layer the thin cheese and top with some parmesan cheese and chopped chives.
Carefully roll up the log as tight as you can, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat
Slice log into (12) 1″ slices and baking 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove, sprinkle with additional chives, cool slightly and serve.
The original idea was to use these for appetizers but we also enjoyed them for lunch! A few of these really hit the spot plus you can never go wrong when puff pastry is involved with anything.
Puff pastry is really versatile and other recipes that use this flaky pastry you might enjoy are the Lemon and Raspberry Tarts for two, Mini Fruit Breakfast Pizzas and Brie Pepper Jelly Bites. Also as mentioned above, be sure to check out those Pumpkin Spice Rolls I made early this week.
Be sure to pin this recipe to make later!
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 6 slices ham, thinly sliced (deli style)
- 9 slices Harvati cheese, thinly sliced (deli style)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- In a small bowl combine the mustard, dill and honey.
- On a floured surface roll the puff pastry into a 12x12" square then brush the mustard mixture on top
- Layer first the ham and then the cheese. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons chives over the top
- Roll into a log going as tightly as you can and wrap in plastic wrap
- Freeze for 15 minutes
- Preheat your oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat
- Slice the log into (12) 1" slices and place on sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Remove and sprinkle with the reserved chives.
- Cool slightly on a rack then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 14g