This Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake has a light and fluffy yellow cake base with caramelized fruit baked on top. Serve this individual homemade dessert for any occasion!
I'm not sure about you but spring is springing (is that a word?) and I'm ready for some lighter desserts that look, well, springy.
Usually around this time of year I'm looking for lighter, brighter recipes and in the past I have made these Lemon Creme Burlee and Lemon Curd Tarts. A couple summers ago I even made something similar - an upside down peach cake.
- maraschino cherries
- baking powder
- brown sugar-light or dark (dark has more of a molasses flavor)
Please see recipe card for instructions and ingredient amounts.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
In a separate bowl cream together the sugar and butter.
Once it is well mixed, add the vanilla extract and beat in one egg at a time.
Next mix in the flour and milk, alternating each a few times until just mixed.
Make the topping by combining the brown sugar and melted butter.
Prepare your jumbo making muffin pans by first spraying with a vegetable spray then adding the brown sugar mixture and topping each with a slice of pineapple and a cherry.
Place batter in each muffin tin about ⅔'s full and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 24 minutes.
Remove the cakes from oven when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted and cool on a rack for about 15-20 minutes.
These cakes are not hard to make and these tips can help you be successful with the recipe.
- Drain the pineapple well and pat it dry to ensure the cake does not get soggy
- Use whole or 2% milk for best results
- Spray the muffin tins with a vegetable spray to prevent sticking and also run a small spatula along the edges when they come out of the oven
- The cakes should cool for about 15-20 minutes before flipping them over to make sure the cake stays intact
- Invert cakes on a rack and place a pan underneath to catch any dripping liquid
- Some of my cakes had a big dome from baking so I used a serrated knife to cut the tops off so they would sit flatter.
- Yes fresh pineapple can be used - for this recipe I used canned
The Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake is best served when made that day and served a little warm. You can store these in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in an airtight container. We like to put ours in the microware for about 30 seconds to warm them up again.
If you would like to freeze, be sure they are really cool and then wrap them separately. Defrost at room temperature and again you can place in microware to warm up again.
I would recommend getting these jumbo muffin tins so the pineapple slices fit perfectly in the tin.
Get the Recipe
Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Individual pineapple upside down cakes made with homemade yellow cake and a caramelized topping of pineapple and cherries
- 12 pineapple rings
- 12 maraschino cherries
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°
- Spray 2 jumbo muffin pans with a vegetable spray and set aside
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and melted butter and divide into each tin
- Place a pineapple ring and a cherry - set aside
- Make the cake by fist combining the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until it is fluffy. Add the extract and one egg at a time.
- Add in the flour and milk alternating a bit of each until everything is just combined
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the cakes are golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack for about 15-20 minutes
- Flip onto another rack
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm
PLEASE SEE POST FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS AND TIPS
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 3gSugar: 52gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
I was inspired to make this recipe from Cooking with Curls.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!
Join the discussion