These Homemade Blueberry Hand Pies are made with a fresh filling that comes together in a snap and kept on the easy side with pre-made pie crust. Each bite is bursting with sweet blueberry flavor!
~Homemade Blueberry Hand Pies~
I really love this time of year when there is an abundance of fresh fruit in the local grocery stores or maybe depending on where you live, you can find a good variety at the farmer's market. Blueberries are in season now and I'm loving them for all sorts of recipes.
I know I could have just bought a can of pie filling, the pre-made crust and be done with these (and that is certainly an option if you are running short on time) but I have always wanted to try and make filling on my own. From start to finish it only took 9 minutes and after it cooled slightly, I was ready to get baking.
No fork required for these homemade blueberry hand pies that make a great after school snack!
Store-bought crust these days is really a great option too. My favorite is from Trader Joe's that can be found in the freezer section. It bakes up golden, flaky and gives that rustic look I am aiming for.
Today after I was editing pictures, I couldn't decide which one should be the "hero" shot (the first one in the post). So I sent a couple to my daughter in Italy since she has a great eye for this type of thing being a graphic designer. She picked the one above and then said she just happened to be making some small tarts herself with the abundance of fresh plums they have near their apartment. I guess great minds think alike!
What ingredients will you need for blueberry hand pies?
- Fresh Blueberries
- Corn Starch
- Pie Crust
- Powdered Sugar
How do you make blueberry hand pies?
First you will need to cook the fresh blueberries by placing them in a medium saucepan until their juices are released. Add the sugar, cornstarch and salt and stir constantly until the mixture is thickened.
Remove from heat and add the fresh lemon juice. Let cool about 15 minutes before using.
From the two pie crusts, cut 16 circles (mine are about 3 ½") - you will need to re-roll scraps to get the 16 rounds.
Place some filling on half of the circles, top with the other half of pie crust, crimp edges with a fork, make a few slits, brush with an egg mixture then bake.
These will take about 20 minutes and it is totally fine if the filling oozes out!
I think what we love best about hand pies is that they are a grab and go type of snack. Hand pies can be sweet or savory and some of our favorites are:
- Apple Hand Pies (one of the most popular on the blog)
- Ham and Brie Breakfast Pies
- Lemon Curd Hand Pies
As I mentioned above, I am loving these little gems. I've made some other blueberry recipes that you might enjoy like this Blueberry Coffee cake, Blueberry pies (made in mason jar lids) and Peach and Blueberry tart that combines my love of peaches too!
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn starch
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 package of pie crust (2 in a pack)
- a egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Place the blueberries in a medium saucepan and turn heat to medium
- Cook, stirring occasionally until they become soft and juices are released (about 9 minutes)
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt then add to the cooked blueberries; stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes until mixture is thickened
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice
- Let cool slightly
- Preheat oven to 425
- Line two cookies sheets with parchment
- Cut 16 circles out of the dough (will need to gather scraps and re-roll) (cutter about 3 ½" diameter)
- Place half on paper then add 1 tablespoon of filling on each
- Place other half of circles on top, crimp edges with fork and make a few slits on top
- Combine the egg and water then brush tops
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown - it is ok is filling starts to ooze out
- When cool combine the powdered sugar and milk to desired consistency then drizzle over pies
You may use canned pie filling
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- Pumpkin Mummy Hand Pies - I'm sure these would be a hit at Halloween
- Taco Beef and Bean Hand Pies - Quick dinner idea for on-the-go people!
- Peach Hand Pies - A great way to use peaches
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!