Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Cake is so easy to make and full of fresh blueberries. You will love the pound cake texture with a light taste of lemon zest.
When it comes to summer dessert what could be better than a marriage of fresh plump blueberries and a hint of lemon?
It’s a light, fresh and moist cake that is perfect for serving for breakfast, dessert, and with tea or coffee.
I have to admit I’ve had this every day this week for breakfast! Well, there is only two of us so someone had to do make sure it didn’t go to waste.
Now it is your turn to make this. Who’s ready to start baking?
- baking soda
- ricotta cheese
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – in a medium bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
Step 2 – use a whisk to combine the ingredients and set aside
Step 3 – in a large bowl add the ricotta cheese, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla extract and melted butter
Step 4 – use a spoon or spatula to combine until creamy
Step 5 – add the flour in a bit at a time to the cheese mixture and stir until well combined
Step 6 – gently stir in the blueberries
Step 7 and 8 – preheat oven to 350; once batter is combined, pour into a 9″ cake pan that has been sprayed with vegetable spray and lined with parchment paper. Note batter is thick and you will to spread with spoon; top with additional blueberries. Bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
Here is the final result – let cool and slice!
What is Ricotta Cheese
Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese made from leftover production of other cheeses. It is relatively an inexpensive cheese that can be found in the refrigerated section of the store. It typically can be found as part-skim or whole milk (which I used in this recipe)
The Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Cake can also be sprinkled with powdered sugar after it cools.
- Other fresh berries can be used to make this cake or even an combination
- The recipe has not been tested with frozen fruit as that tends to “bleed” into the batter
- You could even make a glaze out of powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over the cake
- I forgot one tip that I usually suggest! Dust the blueberries with flour before adding to the batter – this will help the blueberries not “sink” to the bottom of your cake.
- It is okay to leave the cake on your counter for a day in a air-tight container
- After a day, store in the refrigerator for up to three days
- If you would like to freeze it, once is it completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and again place in an air-tight container. This should last about 2 months – let come to room temperature to re-serve.
Ricotta cheese is very versatile and can be used in sweet and savory recipes. Some of our favorites are:
- Mini Cannoli Bites in phyllo cups (a popular recipe)
- Lemon Asparagus Tart
- Orange Almond Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Ricotta Dessert Tarts
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with poppy seeds
Oh boy, see the lemon theme?? 🙂
SAVE THIS PIN FOR LATER – CLICK HERE
Get the Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta milk (whole not skim)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from one lemon
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9" cake pan (or springform) with a vegetable spray (I also lined the pan with parchment paper)
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with a whisk and set aside
- In a large bowl combine with a spatula or spoon the ricotta cheese, lemon zest, eggs, extract and cooled melted butter
- Gradually add in the flour a bit at a time to cheese mixture and mix until well combined
- Gently fold in the blueberries (minus 1/4 cup)
- Spread the batter in the pan and top with the remaining blueberries
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from pan (either remove side from springform or flip out of cake pan)
- Once completely cool, sprinkled with powdered sugar if desired
Please see detailed step by step instructions in the post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.