These cake-like Orange Almond Ricotta Cookies are so light, moist and come together in a snap. The orange zest provides great flavor in both the cookie and the glaze!
As many of you know I love citrus flavored recipes especially lemon. Well, while I probably would have (and could have) used lemon in these cookies, I'm so glad that I went the orange route! I think you will really love the these cookies and they are perfect for spring time - think Easter and Mother's Day!
It was my first attempt using ricotta in cookies and I loved the cake-like texture. The addition of ricotta adds a bit of richness and gives it a melt in your mouth experience. The addition of poppy seeds adds a nice crunch but doesn't overpower the cookie.
Freshly grated orange zest really kicks up these cookies and pairs well with the poppy seeds and ricotta for a flavor explosion in your mouth!"
I have used ricotta in other recipes like these Lemon Ricotta Mini Tarts (nestled in a pre-made phyllo cup), Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes (perfect for breakfast) and these Mini Cannoli Cheesecakes (that are no-bake).
Doesn't that glaze look so good!
Orange Almond Ricotta Cookie tips:
- Ricotta comes in full fat, skim and fat-free. I would highly recommend using full (1st choice) or skim (2nd choice). The fat-free may not bake well.
- Don't skim on the orange zest and use the full amount as stated in the recipe for both cookie and glaze.
- If you want to make these cookies ahead of time, freeze the unglazed cookies and glaze after thawed (freezing the glaze will get all gooey when defrosted)
- Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter - they will keep fresh for 5-6 days
- Not a fan of orange, use lemon zest instead
- Items I used to make this recipe - two tablespoon cookie scoop, cookie sheets, parchment paper and zester
Bet you can't just eat one!
These Orange Almond Ricotta Cookies would be especially perfect for Easter or Mother's Day but you can definitely enjoy any time!"
Other ricotta recipes you might enjoy:
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest from one orange
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter, soft
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 7 ½ ounces ricotta (whole milk)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice
- zest from ½ orange
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line cookies sheets with parchment paper
- Combine with a whisk in a medium bowl the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds
- Combine the sugar and zest of one orange in a large bowl working the zest into the sugar
- Add butter and beat until light and fluffy then add egg and beat well
- Beat in orange juice, ricotta and extracts until well mixed
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix well
- Use a 2 tablespoon scoop to place dough on cookie sheets leaving 2" between each
- Bake for about 18 minutes until golden brown at edge
- Remove from oven and rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely
- Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest.
- Place about a teaspoon on each cookie and let dry until hardened
- Store in an airtight container (5 days)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!