This Grilled Veggie Pesto Flatbread is a fresh take on traditional pizza. By starting with store bought naan bread, grilled vegetables, and homemade fresh pesto, this vegetarian flatbread is great for summer grilling!
Grilled Veggie Pesto Flatbread
Imagine this, you sitting on your deck or patio, perhaps enjoying a tasty beverage and grilling up this easy and tasty flatbread. Oh yes, summer is meant to be outside and when you can cook outside, it is even better!
Even if you have never grilled pizza before, you will impress yourself with how quick this recipe comes together. Start with your favorite veggies, grill them, grill some naan bread, spread some pesto (homemade or store bought), top with the veggies and some cheese, then back to the grill to melt the cheese and voila done!
Summer is the perfect time to put your grill to use and enjoy these flatbreads. Serve as an appetizer or dinner.
Have you ever made your own pesto? It isn't really hard to do and it is one of our favorite summer condiments (not sure what else to call it!) I've used it when making my Caprese Bites and it really adds some great flavor.
What ingredients will you need?
- An assortment of fresh vegetables; i.e. cherry tomatoes, red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, and red onion to name a few
- Naan bread (can be found in the specialty bread section)
- Olive Oil
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pesto (if making own, you will need basil leaves, pine nuts, romano cheese, garlic and olive oil)
You will be able to get all your ingredients at the grocery store but if you have a chance to go to a farmer's market, that would be ideal. You'll be supporting your local farmers and get the freshest ingredients they have on hand.
What else can you serve with flatbreads?
- If you are serving the flatbreads for a main course, how about starting with some appetizers like Caprese Watermelon Bites, Roasted Red Pepper Dip and perhaps Greek Salad Stacker Skewers. All of these recipes use fresh ingredients.
- A couple other side dishes that would go great are Black Bean Corn Salad and Roasted Golden Beets with feta and mint.
- Finish your meal with Lemon Ricotta Tarts
What other cooking methods can be used?
You could also roast the vegetables in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes. The flatbread could be heated in the oven, then topped with the ingredients, cheese and place back in the oven untel the cheese melts. The only thing missing would be the grill marks.
Hope you are enjoying your summer! Be sure to get, fire up the grill and enjoy these flatbreads!
Grilled Veggie Pesto Flatbread
Fire up the grill and make these delicious veggie flatbreads with pesto!
- 4 Naan breads
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper sliced into rings
- 1 small yellow squash sliced thin
- 1 small green zucchini sliced thin
- 4 slices of red onion cut ¼" thick
- 2 slices of eggplant cut ½" thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup pesto (homemade recipe below)
- Preheat grill
- Combine all the veggies and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Use a grilling type basket for you grill and add veggies
- Grill, stirring often, until veggies are slightly charred (remove and keep warm)
- Place the naan bread on grill until "grill" marks form
- Turn over and repeat on other side
- Divide the pesto evenly over one side of the naan bread
- Divide the veggies on the naan bread
- Top with cheese
- Place back on grill with lid closed until cheese melts (about 5 minutes)
- Slice and serve
Homemade pesto recipe can be found here
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!
Jamie Sherman says
This looks and sounds amazing, Deb! I'll take 2 slices! 😉
Noor Fatima says
Love the pesto combination! Perfect for summer picnics. Will definitely give this a try.
Sarah Rose says
You had me at pesto. YUM! I don't think you could stop me from eating all of these!
Lydia Filgueras says
Roasted or grilled fresh veggies are the best part of summer (after eating a messy tomato sandwich over the sink).
Tempie Hughes says
I'll take two slices, please! I absolutely love pesto and roasted veggies!
Lubna Karim says
Wow...this looks extremely yum....
Nicky Omohundro says
Pesto and roasted vegetables are great bed fellows. I'll take a slice of this anytime.
Wow, do these ever look delicious! Your gorgeous pics make them look absolutely tantalizing.
Kimberly Lewis says
This looks so amazing! I'm drooling right now! Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for stopping by and partying with us! I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we can pin and tweet your masterpieces! Lou Lou Girls
Emily @ The Benson Street says
This looks like a perfect lunch!!! Thanks for stopping by and linking up at the Monday Funday Party!
Michelle Nahom says
This looks amazing! We pretty much always have pesto in the house and those roasted veggies look awesome!
EZPZ Mealz says
I could eat this for every single meal. And your photos. Mouthwatering.
Marcie FlavortheMoments says
I love veggie pesto pizza -- it's my favorite! The veggies on this pizza look mouthwatering!
Cathy Trochelman says
This for dinner, with a glass of wine = heaven 🙂