This Grilled Veggie Pesto Flatbread is a fresh take on traditional pizza. By starting with store bought naan bread, grilled vegetables, and homemade fresh pesto, this vegetarian flatbread is great for summer grilling!
Grilled Veggie Pesto Flatbread
Imagine this, you sitting on your deck or patio, perhaps enjoying a tasty beverage and grilling up this easy and tasty flatbread. Oh yes, summer is meant to be outside and when you can cook outside, it is even better!
Even if you have never grilled pizza before, you will impress yourself with how quick this recipe comes together. Start with your favorite veggies, grill them, grill some naan bread, spread some pesto (homemade or store bought), top with the veggies and some cheese, then back to the grill to melt the cheese and voila done!
Summer is the perfect time to put your grill to use and enjoy these flatbreads. Serve as an appetizer or dinner.
Have you ever made your own pesto? It isn’t really hard to do and it is one of our favorite summer condiments (not sure what else to call it!) I’ve used it when making my Caprese Bites and it really adds some great flavor.
What ingredients will you need?
- An assortment of fresh vegetables; i.e. cherry tomatoes, red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, and red onion to name a few
- Naan bread (can be found in the specialty bread section)
- Olive Oil
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pesto (if making own, you will need basil leaves, pine nuts, romano cheese, garlic and olive oil)
You will be able to get all your ingredients at the grocery store but if you have a chance to go to a farmer’s market, that would be ideal. You’ll be supporting your local farmers and get the freshest ingredients they have on hand.
What else can you serve with flatbreads?
- If you are serving the flatbreads for a main course, how about starting with some appetizers like Caprese Watermelon Bites, Roasted Red Pepper Dip and perhaps Greek Salad Stacker Skewers. All of these recipes use fresh ingredients.
- A couple other side dishes that would go great are Black Bean Corn Salad and Roasted Golden Beets with feta and mint.
- Finish your meal with Lemon Ricotta Tarts
What other cooking methods can be used?
You could also roast the vegetables in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes. The flatbread could be heated in the oven, then topped with the ingredients, cheese and place back in the oven untel the cheese melts. The only thing missing would be the grill marks.
Hope you are enjoying your summer! Be sure to get, fire up the grill and enjoy these flatbreads!
- 4 Naan breads
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red pepper sliced into rings
- 1 small yellow squash sliced thin
- 1 small green zucchini sliced thin
- 4 slices of red onion cut 1/4" thick
- 2 slices of eggplant cut 1/2" thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup pesto (homemade recipe below)
- Preheat grill
- Combine all the veggies and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Use a grilling type basket for you grill and add veggies
- Grill, stirring often, until veggies are slightly charred (remove and keep warm)
- Place the naan bread on grill until "grill" marks form
- Turn over and repeat on other side
- Divide the pesto evenly over one side of the naan bread
- Divide the veggies on the naan bread
- Top with cheese
- Place back on grill with lid closed until cheese melts (about 5 minutes)
- Slice and serve
Homemade pesto recipe can be found here
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 390mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g