This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
If you are looking for a healthier appetizer, serve these Caprese Bites with Pesto at your next gathering. Just the right size and just perfect!
Your farmer’s market can provide some wonderful produce during the summer months. I love moseying around the vendor stands looking for the season’s best fresh ingredients. One of my favorite ways to enjoy tomatoes is making a caprese salad with fresh mozzarella and basil with a drizzle of olive oil. These bite sized appetizers are made with the same fresh ingredients but what makes them so special you might ask? It’s making your own pesto!
It’s really easy to make and once you do, you’ll never buy the store stuff again! Plus the aroma is amazing. Not only is pesto great on these bites but you can maybe use to toss with spaghetti or make into a pasta salad.
Useful tips for making Caprese Bites with Pesto:
- Make pesto within an hour of using it
- Kitchen items that you might need: Food processor, cutting board, knife
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese (do not use fresh)
- 4 slices rustic bread (i.e. Italian)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and set aside
- Slice mozzarella cheese into 1/4" slices then cut into but 1" squares and set aside
- Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and crisp up by placing on a hot grill (watch and turn so they don't burn - you just want to get some grill marks on both side) then cut into about 1 1/4" squares and set aside
- To make pesto, place basil and pine nuts in a food processor and process until chopped fine
- Add romano cheese, garlic and cheese and process until mixed
- With blade running, drizzle olive oil slowly until it is incorporated.
- If desired, add salt and pepper to taste
- To assemble, place about a 1/2 teaspoon of pesto on bread, top with mozzarella, cherry tomato and secure with toothpick
- Serve immediately
To toast pine nuts: place in a hot pan and stir for 3-4 minutes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 319mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 8g
If you love caprese stuff like me, be sure to check out these other recipes: