Fresh Corn Chowder is a creamy, comforting, and flavorful summer soup. It's made with fresh roasted corn, roasted red peppers, tender potatoes, crispy bacon and a cream base made in a dutch oven.
~Fresh Corn Chowder~
Summer produce is really putting on a show! This past Saturday I went to our local Farmer's market and came home with the most colorful, freshest and mouthwatering veggies. I wandered from stand to stand buying a little bit here and there to spread the love to our local producers.
One of the most popular places with the longest line with the corn man.... I got 14 ears for $5. I thought that was a great deal. This homemade soup recipe highlights that fresh corn to create a chunky, hearty soup with bold flavor.
Don't let summer pass without trying this fresh corn chowder. It is easy to make and tastes great!
While chowder might be considered a fall or winter dish, there is nothing like fresh corn that is slightly charred on the grill to kick it up a notch! Also, you may decide to roast your own red peppers* or buy the jarred (I did jarred this time).
What ingredients will you need to make Fresh Corn Chowder?
- Roasted Red Peppers*
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
*How do you roast corn and red peppers on a grill?
Roasting vegetables on the grill is easy to do but I do recommend that you keep an eye on the process by staying near the grill.
Roast red peppers by placing them on a hot grill and keep turning the peppers until there are blacked on all sides. Place peppers in a plastic storage bag and let rest for about 10 minutes, then remove. Skins should be easy to peel then remove seeds and stem.
The method I used for roasting the corn was removing the husks and silks, rinse under water, pat dry and then spray with vegetable oil (i.e. Pam). Place on a hot grill and turn about every two minutes until slightly charred (takes about 15 minutes)
For the corn, you will want it to still have a crisp-tender texture. If it gets charred too much, the corn will shrivel up and not have that texture.
The pictures will give you an idea of what they should look like - all charred for the red peppers and slightly for the corn.
I also love using my dutch oven. It is heavy and helps retain the heat and cook evenly.
Look at all those chunks of yummy ingredients!
How do you thicken corn chowder?
The recipe calls for thickening with flour. Another way to make your soup creamier, is to take about a cup of soup and puree in a blender and add back in. This works especially well with soups that have potatoes.
I also love serving bread alongside soups, my No-Knead Rosemary Skillet bread would go great with this.
- 7 ears fresh corn
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups red potatoes, diced (ok to leave skins on)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Heat up your grill.
- Remove husks and silk from corn, rinse, pat dry then spray with a vegetable spray
- Cook on grill, turn about every 2 minutes until slightly charred but still crisp-tender
- Remove and keep in a covered container until ready to use
- Saute bacon in a dutch oven until just crisp then add butter
- Add onions and saute about 8-10 until onions are soft
- Sprinkle flour then stir constantly for 2 minutes
- Add in chicken broth and potatoes and simmer 20 minutes
- Cut corn off cobs then add to broth with roasted red peppers and heavy cream
- Simmer gently for another 15-20 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 727mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
Other summer soups recipes you might enjoy:
- Roasted Yellow Tomato and Pepper soup - I love that this recipes uses yellow tomatoes!
- Gazpacho Soup - a chilled soup this is bursting with fresh ingredients!
- Creamy Asparagus and Celery soup - an elegant soup that can be served any time.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!