If you are looking for a new treat to go with your coffee, then be sure to try these Welsh Cakes.
If you are of Welsh heritage, you might have tried Welsh Cakes or at least heard of them. My dad is part Welsh and I've had them before but have never made them. As luck would have it, our friend is and after being out to dinner with them recently, we headed back to their place for dessert.
Dave had just made a batch, of which I had a few, and then they were kind enough to send some home with me. Of course I had to take some photos and even better, he shared his recipe with me!
The cake recipe is from his grandmother (called Nan) and as far as they can tell, it is from the 1930's. These are considered a teatime favorite. I love that they aren't overly sweet which is why I can probably eat a few at a sitting!
Do you have a family favorite passed down from generations ago? I do and this reminds me I need to dig out some recipes and get a baking! I can picture my Italian grandmother making some of her favorites and I'm happy to have those recipes to share with my family. Stay tuned for some treats!
- ½ lb unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup currants, softened in hot water and drained
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, baking powder and slat
- Carefully blend flour into egg mixture
- Mix in currants
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into rounds about 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake in a lightly buttered electric skillet (about 325) until lightly browned. Do not overbake. Flip and bake other side.
- Remove to rack, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and cover with a clean, dry towel
- Allow to cook slowly
Dough may need to chill slightly. Cookies will get hard and dry if you overwork the dough or add too much flour. Delicious warm or cooled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 72Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.