A Giant Skillet Cinnamon Roll is just what you need for a delicious breakfast treat. It has tasty layers of cinnamon-sugar goodness and topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting – so simple to make!
Who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon baking in the oven? Me! Who always has time to make homemade sweet dough? Um, not me!
Today’s recipe is a simpler way to recreate cinnamon rolls by starting with canned biscuit dough.
Who’s ready to start baking and enjoying this breakfast treat?
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: in a small bowl place the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and salt
Step 2: use a whisk to combine the filling ingredients and set aside
Step 3: roll canned biscuits into about a 2×6″ rectangle on a floured surface
Step 4: dip or brush melted butter on each rectangle (brushing will control the butter amount better)
Step 5: place rectangle dough into the cinnamon-sugar mixture
Step 6: coat both sides and begin to place in a buttered skillet (step 7)
Step 7: start by placing the first piece of dough in the center of a 12″ buttered skillet
Step 8: take rectangle dough pieces as shown in steps 5-6 and place around the first piece of dough going in a circle until all rectangles are used up – bake at 350 for about 30 minutes
Once out of the oven, let cool a bit and then frost.
Step 9: in a medium bowl place the powdered sugar, softened cream cheese and milk
Step 10: beat with a mixer until combined and fluffy
Now it is time to enjoy this tasty cinnamon roll complete with a gooey center and a creamy frosting!
Recipe Notes and Tips
- remove biscuits from refrigerator about 15 minutes ahead of time so they roll easier
- use shallow bowls for the melted butter and cinnamon-sugar mixture
- butter your skillet well to prevent sticking (I have a fancy skillet but any that is oven safe will do)
- eat two way – either cut slices or unroll it like monkey bread
How to Store
- this Giant Skillet Cinnamon Roll is best when eaten the day made
- if storing, place in an airtight container for 1-2 days
- reheat in a microwave about 20 seconds to warm up
- I would not recommend freezing
Why you will love this recipe. It is so simple to make by using canned biscuit dough, kids can help and it can be made and served in about an hour!
More Skillet Recipes
I really like using my skillets to make all sorts of recipes – sweet and savory. Here are a few I think you will enjoy.
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Baked Spinach Ravioli – currently trending on the blog
- Cast Iron Pizza
- Apple Pie
- Cranberry Sweet Bread – perfect for the holidays
Get the Recipe
- 3 cans (16.3 oz) Grand Style Biscuits
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and butter a 12" skillet well
- In a shallow bowl combine the sugars, cinnamon and salt
- In another shallow bowl place the melted butter
- Roll each biscuit into a 2x6" rectangle
- Brush each side with melted butter and dip both sides in the sugar mixture
- Start in the middle of your skillet and roll into a round shape (like a regular cinnamon roll)- for each biscuit added, continue adding around tightly. (I stretched slightly as I was adding them around the middle one)
- Don't worry if you have space around the edges after adding all the biscuits, it will bake to the edges
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown; remove and let cool about 10 minutes
- Use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, milk and powdered sugar
- Spread over warms rolls and enjoy!
PLEASE SEE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS IN POST
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
Another skillet dish you might enjoy from Lisa – Chicken Cacciatore.