This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Lately I’ve been making about one soup recipe a week and today I’m sharing this Southwest Chicken Barley Soup. I like that soups can come together quickly and usually we have leftovers for another meal. This one with Mexican flavors is one of my favorites and not to mention colorful! Maybe the picture alone will cheer you up and make you forget that Phil saw his shadow yesterday!
- ½ c chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) corn, drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz.) black bean drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can chicken broth
- ½ cup quick barley
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lb. boneless chicken
- Toppings – shredded cheese, crushed tortilla, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place boneless chicken on a baking sheet and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake for about 20 minutes until done. Let cool a but then shred with either your mixer or 2 forks
- Meanwhile, in dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add next 9 ingredients (unless you are using quick barley-if so, add at appropriate cooking time). Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer 10 additional minutes
Another soup recipe you might like – SW Quinoa Chicken