This Irish Potato Leek Soup makes a great dinner that is so satisfying, comforting and can be on the table in about 35 minutes. It is super creamy and is topped with crispy bacon!
Today's soup recipe is now one of our new family favorites! We loved the combination of the potatoes and leeks all blended together to make a great savory soup and the addition of salty crumbled bacon was the perfect topping.
While this soup would make a great addition to your St. Patrick's Day table, you could definitely enjoy it any time. From prep to serving, this will be on your table in about 35 minutes and while the soup is simmering, bake up some biscuits shaped like shamrocks (see pictures).
Irish Potato Leek Soup tips:
- Be sure to really rinse the leeks as they tend to gather grit in the layers. The best way is to cut them in half lengthwise and run water between the layers, pat dry and cut into chunks
- At the end of cooking, the soup is blended to give it that creamy texture. I removed about ⅓ of the chunks of potatoes and leeks then used an immersion blender to blend the rest into a smooth texture then added the chunks back in
- After cooking the bacon, remove the grease but leave the brown bits (called fonds). This really gives the soup a great taste.
- Feel free to add other toppings as well like additional thyme, cheese, chives, etc.
Another bread that would be excellent with this soup is this Irish Soda Bread. It's a recipe from my good friend Steph and it is so good! Be sure to check out the other recipes below for some great St. Patrick Day ideas.
Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Slow Cooker Guinness Beer Cheese Dip
Irish Cream & Mint Iced Mocha
Irish Potato Soup
Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies
Irish Soda Bread
Dark Chocolate Guinness Fudge
Irish Apple Cake with Custard Sauce
Chicken Pot Pie
Get the Recipe
- 8 slices bacon (thick-cut), chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs Yukon potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a Dutch oven pot add the bacon and cook over med-high heat until it is crispy
- Remove bacon and place on a plate with a paper towel
- Drain the grease but leave the brown bits in the pot
- Add the butter and olive oil and turn heat to med-low
- Add leeks and onions and saute for about 10-12 until soft; stir frequently
- Add garlic and saute for one minute
- Add potatoes, broth, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bring to boil over med-high heat, cover and simmer about 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft
- Remove the thyme and about ⅓ of the potatoes and leeks
- Use an immersion blender to puree the remaining soup then add back the chunks
- Add the heavy cream and heat through
- Meanwhile bake biscuits (see note section)
- Serve soup with crumbled bacon on top
Use a can of refrigerated biscuits (10 count), separate and use a rolling pin to roll each about ¼" thick. Use a shamrock cookie cutter to cut out shape. Bake as directed
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1284mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!