This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Your holiday cookie plate won’t be complete unless you have these easy Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with buttery shortbread, almond flavoring and glaze. They look festive too!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and by now I’m sure you have your menu set, right? Well, once that day is over, it is time to think about what you are making for Christmas and one of the best things are cookies. Do you agree? Do you have any family favorites? We have a couple which I’ll mention later but I’m always on the lookout for some new ones to try. I first saw this recipe over at the Land O Lakes website and since then, well, I have seen them all over town! I guess I’m not the only one who loves raspberry thumbprint cookies. I think you will too. The cookie part is buttery with a hint of almond, topped with sweet raspberry jam and drizzled with an almond glaze.
It is really important to follow the recipe exactly as stated using Land O Lakes butter. I read on a few other blogs that some folks did not have good luck so go with the tried and true recipe that follows below with that butter. One substitution you could make is if you aren’t a fan of almond extract, is using vanilla and a different kind of jam would be fine too. It’s just the butter you need to keep the same.
As I mentioned, we do have some family favorites. My son-in-law really loves these Triple Ginger Cookies as they do have 3 different kinds of ginger to give them a little bit of a bite and they have chunks of chocolate. They are soooo good and also easy to make. If I leave a plate out, they disappear quick! We also love these Italian Black Pepper cookies. They are a blast from my past and always on our cookie tray and happen to be a favorite of my husband. It’s a cherished recipe from my Italian grandmother.
So now you have a few new cookies to try! Keep calm and get baking, you have a little over a month before Christmas!
Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
These Raspberry Thumbprint cookies are delicious and festive for the holidays!
- 1 cup Land O Lakes butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
- Beat at a medium speed being sure to scrape bowl often until it becomes really creamy (I used a kitchen aid mixer with paddle)
- Gradually add in the flour at a low speed, again scraping bowl often until it is well mixed
- Cover well and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. You want the dough to be firm (but not too hard)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Shape the dough into a 1" ball and place about 2" apart on cookie sheet (I used a small scoop)
- Make an indentation with your thumb (don't worry if edges crack slightly)
- Fill each with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon jam
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until edges are lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet then remove to cooling rack and cool completely
- Combine the glaze ingredients with a whisk and drizzle over cookies
I did find when I used my thumb, the cookies spread too much so I used the back of a 1/4 teaspoon to make the indentation.
You could use a seedless jam if desired