Triple Ginger Chocolate Cookies are soft, chewy and spiced with three kinds of ginger – fresh, powdered and crystallized. The molasses and chocolate chunks round out the flavors in this crinkle type cookie making it a classic!
Today’s cookie recipe is the typically made around the holidays but I think they are great any time of the year.
They are extra-ordinary by having lots of spice, dark molasses and chunks of chocolate that give it a slightly crisp edge with a chewy center.
These are requested all year long from my son-in-law, as you will find out why when you make them. Who’s ready to get baking?
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: in a medium bowl place flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered ginger, cloves and cocoa powder
Step 2: whisk together and set aside
Step 4: in a large bowl place the brown sugar, fresh ginger and butter
Step 5: beat with a mixer (hand or stand)
Step 5: beat brown sugar mixture until combined and creamy
Step 6: add in molasses and beat until combined
Step 7: combine the baking soda and hot water in a small bowl and add to molasses butter mixture; mix well
Step 8: add flour to mixture until well combined
Step 9: add chocolate chunks and crystallized ginger to mixture
Step 10: use a spatula or wooden spoon to combine; then refrigerate the dough for one hour
Step 11: make walnut size dough balls and roll in sugar (I find using a small bowl and rolling dough around in it works good)
Step 12: place ball on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet about 2″ apart and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. The cookie is done when the edges are slightly set and crinkles appear.
Once these cookies come out of the oven, they will rest on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack until completely cool (though you will want to eat one with all that melty chocolate after it sits for a bit!)
As the cookie cools, it even gets more crinkly.
- when cutting the fresh ginger, make sure it is minced so you get a subtle taste when you bite into the cookie
- chocolate chips can be substituted for chunks
- the dough can be made and refrigerator the day ahead
- I’m a fan of fresh nutmeg with a grater if you can get it
- make a double batch because these disappear quick!
- these cookies also do well being mailed. Wrap two together, place stacks in tin with bubble wrap. They do not crumble easily.
Why this cookie works. A great thing about these Triple Ginger Chocolate Cookies are that they freeze extremely well. I wrap up about 4 in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or container. They have kept for about 3-4 months this way.
Who doesn’t love cookies right? I’m including a variety below that you might also enjoy.
- Chewy Sprinkle Cookies
- Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies – a classic recipe to have on hand!
- Lemon Glazed
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Oatmeal
I love biting into these and getting a burst of ginger and chocolate in each bite!
SAVE THIS PIN FOR LATER – CLICK HERE
Get the Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbls unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 stick soft butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 oz chocolate chunks
- 1/4 chopped crystallized ginger
- sugar for rolling
- Combine the flour, cocoa, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in bowl
- In a large bowl beat the butter, brown sugar and fresh ginger on high until blended then add molasses beating until just combined
- Dissolve the baking soda in 2 tsps very hot water then add to batter.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and crystallized ginger. Refrigerate one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookies sheets with parchment paper. Roll about a walnut size of dough in your hands then roll through regular sugar. Place about 2" apart on sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are cracked on top and firm around edges.
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack.
SEE POST FOR DETAILED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME ANY TIME WITH QUESTIONS.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.