This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Fresh tomato basil soup is kicked up a notch with feta cheese. Easy to make, this easy homemade soup recipe makes delicious comfort food!!
Today brought a trip to the Farmer’s Market. It was quite cool for a summer day – only 62 degrees and a bit rainy but nothing was going to stop me today from going. I love going to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings but we haven’t been home on Saturdays in over a month!
Today was perfect too since I knew I wanted to make a soup and having the weather a bit cooler was a good time to make this Fresh Tomato Basil Soup with Feta. It really hit the spot and the kitchen aromas were wonderful.
I first had this fresh tomato basil soup when a friend of mine (who just happens to be my previous supervisor) had us to her place for dinner a couple months ago. She retired last year and while we had a “reporting” work relationship, we also were friends. We are close in age, have similar interests and are foodies.
Most of our conversations center around recipes – what we may have made over the weekend, suggesting recipes for each other to try and yes, sometimes we even cook together. For a couple years we have auctioned off dinners for United Way for two couples. We always prepared the food at my place and had a great time coming up with menus and serving our co-workers.
The DIY Guy and I really enjoyed this tomato basil soup. I love the addition of the feta cheese – it doesn’t melt and just provides a nice texture. Her soup was a bit thicker and I think my tomatoes may have been a little watery. When I make it again, I will either cook it off longer or place my tomatoes in a strainer. The flavor was still wonderful.
Not only did I get my tomatoes at the farmer’s market, but I also got the basil and onion.
Nothing like fresh ingredients when it comes time to making recipes like this fresh tomato basil soup with feta!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 6 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, bring the olive oil to medium heat then add the onions and cook until translucent (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add garlic, salt and bay leave and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth and bring to boil then lower temp and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently - do not cover
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture
- Add the tomato sauce, feta and basil (reheat to warm)
- Season with fresh pepper and the cayenne pepper
- Top with croutons if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 1701mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 14g Protein: 10g
Another soup recipe you might enjoy