Fresh tomato basil soup is kicked up a notch with feta cheese. Easy to make, this easy homemade soup recipe makes delicious comfort food!!
Today brought a trip to the Farmer’s Market. It was quite cool for a summer day – only 62 degrees and a bit rainy but nothing was going to stop me today from going. I love going to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings but we haven’t been home on Saturdays in over a month!
Today was perfect too since I knew I wanted to make a soup and having the weather a bit cooler was a good time to make this Fresh Tomato Basil Soup with Feta. It really hit the spot and the kitchen aromas were wonderful.
I first had this fresh tomato basil soup when a friend of mine (who just happens to be my previous supervisor) had us to her place for dinner a couple months ago. She retired last year and while we had a “reporting” work relationship, we also were friends. We are close in age, have similar interests and are foodies.
Most of our conversations center around recipes – what we may have made over the weekend, suggesting recipes for each other to try and yes, sometimes we even cook together. For a couple years we have auctioned off dinners for United Way for two couples. We always prepared the food at my place and had a great time coming up with menus and serving our co-workers.
The DIY Guy and I really enjoyed this tomato basil soup. I love the addition of the feta cheese – it doesn’t melt and just provides a nice texture. Her soup was a bit thicker and I think my tomatoes may have been a little watery. When I make it again, I will either cook it off longer or place my tomatoes in a strainer. The flavor was still wonderful.
Not only did I get my tomatoes at the farmer’s market, but I also got the basil and onion.
Nothing like fresh ingredients when it comes time to making recipes like this fresh tomato basil soup with feta!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 6 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, bring the olive oil to medium heat then add the onions and cook until translucent (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add garlic, salt and bay leave and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth and bring to boil then lower temp and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently - do not cover
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture
- Add the tomato sauce, feta and basil (reheat to warm)
- Season with fresh pepper and the cayenne pepper
- Top with croutons if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1701mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
Another soup recipe you might enjoy