Brrrrr...it's cold outside! This past week we have had some snow and a lot colder temps! When I get home from work, I don't want to go out of the house again and it's only November. Even colder temps are ahead of us.... why don't I live in FL? Well, then I would probably complain about the heat 🙂
But I do have a cure to warm you up. This is categorized a soup but I always end up putting more ingredients in and it turns out more stew-like. I love the veggies and barley; it makes for a great combination.
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat; 1” cubes
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes (juice too)
- 3 Tbl tomato paste
- 1 cube beef bouillion
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces red wine
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- In dutch oven or soup pot, brown meat in oil and cook until most liquid evaporates on medium-high heat (about 15 minutes); add shallot about 5 minutes before
- Add water, broth, celery, carrots, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon, seasonings and wine.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Stir in barley and simmer an additional 15 minutes
What's one of your go to warm-me-up meals? Soup, Stew? Something else?
I know some of you aren't fans of mushrooms so I didn't list them in the recipe, but if you wanted to add, cook along with the shallots - my shroom of choice is the baby bella. I love how it holds up in soups and stews.
Well, time to go and hibernate!