It’s no secret that I love soup – all kinds, all ways, meat, meatless, slow cooker, etc – just as long as it doesn’t have fish or tofu in it 🙂 I recently came across this recipe that really intrigued me. Pears and sweet potatoes – it was a combination I haven’t thought of before and eager to give it a try. Not only is this super easy to make but it looks really elegant and like you fussed all day! It’s a bit sweet, a bit savory but FULL of fantastic flavor. Who’s ready to grab a spoon and dig in with this Easy Pear & Sweet Potato Soup?
Ok, I’ll let you in on a little secret, as creamy and silky as this soup looks, there is no cream in it! And while this version has chicken broth, I’m sure substituting vegetable broth would be fine and then you have a vegetarian option. Bowl (sorry for the pun) your guests over with a soup that is so easy to make and would be a great starter to any meal. It goes from prep to serving in about 40 minutes and can be made a day ahead and reheated.
Speaking of soups (and if you are a Seinfeld fan), a couple years we were in NYC for a week and decide to do all the pop culture stuff – like getting up early and going to the Today Show, Magnolia Bakery, hot dogs from a stand, pretzels, Rock of Ages and we even got tickets to the Dave Letterman show where we saw Nick Offerman, Thelma Sayek and KISS! But one of our favorite things was going to the Soup Nazi’s where we had the best Lobster Bisque soup. We got in line, ordered properly and got our soup! It really did live up to all the hype – wish I had that recipe to make!
Easy Pear Sweet Potato Soup
Inspired by BH&G
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 cups peeled and chopped pears
- 1 1/2 cup peeled and chopped russet potato
- 1 cup peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken brother (or vegetable)
- Additional pear cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium high heat then add the onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes
- Add the pears, sweet potatoes,potato, salt and thyme; cook and stir 5 additional minutes.
- Add in the broth, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes
- Use an immersion blender to blend until very smooth then season with salt and pepper to liking.
- In a small saucepan, melt the tablespoon butter then add the brown sugar until all is melted. Add the diced pears and saute about 5-7 minutes until they caramelize a bit. Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.
- Pour soup into bowls then top with the caramelized pears
Other soups you might enjoy: