Keep entertaining simple with this easy Olive Christmas Tree Appetizer. It will add that special touch for the holidays!
Entertaining for the holidays is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends. You could be all fancy smancy or keep it simple with a few appetizers and drinks. The important part is getting together to enjoy each other's company!
I remember from Christmas' pasts being a kid when my parents would entertain. It seemed like about every other night they would invite a few friends over to celebrate the season.
My mom kept it real simple with hi-ball drinks with cheese and crackers. And my favorite part was the cheese in the can! I think it was pretty new back then and my brothers and I loved to make funny shapes on our crackers (she always bought Sociable Crackers which still are my fav).
I have to admit I would love to entertain more during the holidays, it seems like lately when we aren't busy, our friends are. The one time for sure we entertain is on Christmas Eve.
With going back over 25 years, our friends have joined us on this night. We start the night out with drinks and appetizers then move onto dinner. We started this tradition when our families moved to the midwest and were really far from our families. It's a great night that we always look forward to!
Tips for making this Olive Christmas Tree Appetizer:
- Start with a foam cone that you can buy at a craft store
- Wrap the cone in plastic wrap
- Use wooden toothpicks
- Start assembling the tree from the bottom
- If you want, add a dab of cream cheese on the base to make it stick better to the serving plate
- The tree can be made a day ahead then wrapped in plastic wrap overnight in the refrigerator (this is what I did)
- Feel free to add other items like small mozzarella balls, small marinated peppers, etc.
Other goodies to enjoy!
- 3-4 cups assorted olives (pitted) depends on foam size
- 1 package fresh rosemary
- 1 yellow pepper
- 10-12" foam cone
- Wrap the foam cone in plastic wrap (leave bottom unwrapped)
- Place cone on plate (you may use a bit of cream cheese to secure on plate)
- Starting at bottom of cone, place a toothpick on foam then add olives - use any pattern you want and build to the top
- Place sprigs of fresh rosemary in-between olives
- Cut a star out of yellow pepper and place on top
- Can be served immediately or wrapped in plastic and served the next day
I added some small marinated peppers and mozzarella balls