Break time - make a spot of tea and set out a plate of these Lemon Shortbread Cookies. These dainty shortbread cookies would be perfect to treat yourself or most definitely company worthy!
Do you ever have one of those days when you might just want to take an afternoon break for yourself, grab a book, and just relax for a bit?
I feel like that at times and maybe I also want to indulge in a sweet treat but something on the lighter side. And loving lemons as I do, this cookie is the perfect pick me up afternoon treat.
I really love how light this cookie is and how it just melts in your mouth. If you aren't a fan of lemons, feel free to leave out the lemon zest and keep it plain vanilla - another good substitute would be to use almond extract.
For the frosting, you could use a bit of extract and milk. However you want to make it your own, you will be pleased with the results!
- vanilla extract
- lemon zest
Need any cookie cutters?
The 'naked' cookies
Hang in there! Tomorrow is hump day!
Another ways to make shortbread cookies
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (soft)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- colored sprinkling sugar if desired
- Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium sized bowl
- In a larger mixing bowl beat the butter and powdered sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. Next mix in the vanilla and zest.
- Take the dry ingredients and gradually add them to the butter mixture until it is well blended.
- Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap – – keep refrigerated for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- On a lightly floured large cutting board roll the dough ¼″ thick. Use a cookie cutter (your choice), cut and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. (about 1″ apart)
- Bake until the bottoms are light brown which takes about 10-12 minutes and be sure to not overbake. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then place on wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together, frost cookie and sprinkle with sugar if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.