These easy to make Greek Chicken Pita Nachos are a healthy appetizer that are full of fresh ingredients like juicy tomatoes, crispy cucumbers and green peppers, tangy feta cheese, kalamata olives and red onions. You can also use pita bread to make your own "chips".
Greek Chicken Pita Nachos
Let's get serious today with this delicious recipe that combines the love of nachos with the love of Greek salad. Oh yes, this dish has it all and is the perfect summer appetizer that will you want to make again and again.
What's not to love with all the fresh ingredients that can be whipped up in no time that also can be made into a main meal with the addition of diced chicken. In fact, this is exactly what we had for dinner tonight. Even the DIY Guy ate quite a bit and said it was really tasty!
Be sure to serve these nachos all summer long especially when you can get fresh ingredients at your local farmer's market
To keep this recipe real simple, I also bought pre-made Tzatziki sauce that I found at my local Trader Joe's. I have made my own sauce before when I made these Greek chicken wings but sometimes quick is best!
You could also buy pita chips but I do like to cut up pita bread and make my own. They are very tasty and bake up in the oven quickly with some spices. I first made them when I created this Roasted Red Pepper dip.
Sprinkle with dried oregano as you would typically find this in a traditional Greek salad.
What ingredients will you need?
- English Cucumber
- Kalamata Olives
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Green Pepper
- Fresh Dill
- Dried Oregano
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Cooked Chicken
- Pita Bread
- Tzatziki Sauce
Being that I am such a fan of Greek inspired salads and such, I have several recipes on the blog that I would love for you to try - Lentil Greek Salad, Greek Quinoa Salad, Greek Stacker Appetizers, and Chopped Greek Panzanella Salad to name a few. I guess it is all Greek to me!
How do you prepare the nachos?
- While I am baking the pita chips (see recipe below), I start mincing up the vegetables and setting them aside. If you find your tomatoes too watery, place in a strainer and let them drain for about 5 minutes. I like to cut/prep all the ingredients first then mix everything up in a bowl. I find it best to layer it on a platter and top with the crumbled feta cheese last so it doesn't break up too much.
- Place the Tzatziki sauce in a dipping bowl and place the baked pita chips either around the platter or in a separate bowl.
- We like to dip our chips into the sauce and then scoop up all that goodness.
How long will the ingredients last?
The fresh ingredients will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator as long as you keep it separate from the sauce. The pita chips can be stored in a baggie for about 2-3 days also
- 1 cup english cucumber, diced
- 1 cup kalamata olives, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh dill for garnish
- 4 pita rounds cut into 8ths
- 1 cup Tzatziki sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika
- Brush both the front and back of the pita wedges with the olive oil and sprinkle both sides with the seasoning mixture
- Bake for 10 minutes; turn over halfway through
- Combine the cucumber, olives, green pepper, chicken, red onion and cherry tomatoes in a bowl then place mixture on a platter.
- Top with a squeeze of lemon juice, feta cheese and oregano
- Garnish with fresh dill if desirec
- Place Tzatziki sauce in a bowl, dip wedges then scoop mixture onto wedges
Keep this vegetarian by leaving out the chicken
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!