Fresh Cherry Crisp is a wonderful way to use this seasonal fruit. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on the crunchy topping - a perfect summer treat!
I love this time of year when cherries are available! It reminds me when I was a kid and we would go to my grandmother's house and go "down the yard" and pick cherries at the neighbors house.
I was able to pick the low lying ones and my uncles would place ladders against the tree to get the majority. My tongue would be bright red by the end of the afternoon and hopefully I didn't get a stomach ache!
In memory of those great times, I created this fresh cherry crisp for you to enjoy.
One thing I don't remember doing was pitting the cherries. I'm sure they didn't have these fancy pit removers that we have today (and I own). It only took about 10 minutes to pit this pound and then I was ready to put this together.
- Sweet Cherries
- Lemon Juice
- Old Fashioned Oats
- Brown Sugar
If you aren't a fan of ice cream (GASP!), feel free to have these plain!
Another Cherry recipe you might enjoy - Fresh Cherry Ice Cream
Get the Recipe
- 1 lb fresh sweet cherries pitted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- dash salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- dash nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup soft butter
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Spray with PAM 2 5″ cast iron skillets (or similar size baking dishes)
- Place pitted cherries, sugar, salt, cornstarch, lemon juice in a medium bowl
- Combine carefully and divide between the skillets
- In a small bowl combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon then add the butter and combine until medium clumps form
- Divide topping between 2 skillets
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly
- Cool until warm and serve with vanilla ice cream
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 4gSugar: 46gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!