These Green Chile Cheddar Biscuits are perfect with a bowl of your favorite soup or chili. They are light, fluffy and kicked up a notch with green chilies. Eating them by themselves is a good snack idea too!
If you live in my part of the woods, it is still winter (ugh) and that means give me comfort food! I want to feel warm so recipes that are a bit heartier is what my body is craving. Soups, stews and chili recipes are perfect for that – do you agree? I also like some sort of bread to either dunk or eat alongside those dishes and was really happy the way these biscuits turned out. You can see how fluffy they are and they have just the right amount of spice to them. I split one open seeing that melty cheese and then slathered on some butter. Oh boy, I was in heaven!
I was inspired to make these biscuits after attending a breakfast at work. They served a smaller size of a similar biscuit, cut in half, with a chunk of ham in the middle. After one bite, I knew it was something I definitely want to make. Since at the time I didn’t have a great biscuit recipe, I went to pinterest and found this one that I seemed pretty close to what I was looking for. I tweaked it a bit and was pleased with the results.
As mentioned, these green chile cheddar biscuits would be a perfect addition to soups, stews and chili. One of our go-to chili recipes is from the DIY Guy – we call it Lucky 27 because it has 27 different ingredients in it! It’s a little bit of work but it tastes fantastic and makes a great amount for a crowd. We also enjoy this Southwest Chicken Barley Soup during our cold Minnesota winters. I hope the groundhog in a couple days does NOT see his shadow – this gal is ready for an early spring!!
Green Chile Cheddar Biscuits
The perfect light and fluffy biscuit with cheddar cheese and green chilies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup diced green chilies (rinsed well)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Additional shredded cheddar for top of biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt with a whisk
- Diced the cold butter and add it to the flour mixture; use a pastry cutter until it resembles course crumbs
- Add the buttermilk in and mix until combined
- Add in the cheese and green chilies; mix until just incorporated (dough will be sticky)
- Move the dough to a lightly floured surface and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of flour on top
- Knead the dough 5-6 times and pat into a 1/2" thick circle
- Use a 2" round biscuit cutter, cut and place on parchment paper (leave 1" between biscuits)
- Rework the dough scraps; shape again and cut more circles
- Sprinkle about a teaspoon of shredded cheese on top of biscuits
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until raised and golden brown.