As January is starting to come to a close, there are still two things I've been pursuing this month. One is trying to stay warm (hmmm, no brainer as I live in Minnesota!) and the other is continuing to eat on the healthier side. I've been doing pretty good and hope to continue into the next month and beyond. It's a habit I want to keep in 2016! So today I'm sharing a new healthy Sweet Potato & Black Bean soup as part of the Eat Healthy 16 series where several bloggers have been posting healthier recipes all month - Jamie from Love Bakes Good Cakes (where you will find this recipe), Brianne from Cupcakes and Kale Chips, and Jenny from The Melrose Family. Eating lighter doesn't mean you need to skip on flavor and this soup has it all! We are also giving away an awesome gift of a Blendtec 725 (Valued over $750)
I decided to try this recipe on a night when the DIY Guy was gone (since it was meatless) and invite over a couple fun gal pals who are always game to try something new in my kitchen (just as long as it isn't fish - Oh, I totally agree on that one!). We were chit chatting as I was making the soup catching up with each other and our families which was great. Soon the soup was done and I served up three bowls and we sat done to eat. Here is where it gets a bit interesting. The soup flavor is really fantastic - the spice on the other hand was a bit 5 alarm. I followed the recipe exactly and I guess it is just a spicy soup! Note that I did cut all the spices in half. By all means if you love it hot hot hot, then just double the spices. I'm pretty sure the culprit was the cayenne pepper!
If you did want to please that meat eater at your place, add in some cooked chicken for protein. I think next time I'll have some ready on the side for John :)
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut 1"
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded cut 1/2"
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt to taste
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, red pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic
- Cook about 8 minutes until onions are tender; stir occasionally
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper then reduce heat to medium
- Cover and cook for 8 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add stock, beans, tomatoes, corn and bring to boil; stir occasionally and let simmer for 15 minutes then remove from heat
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Season with salt as desired
- If desired add shredded cheese, sour cream or more cilantro on top
Powered by Recipage
a Rafflecopter giveaway
If you are looking for more soups, here are a couple of our favs: