One of my favorite things to do on my work break is to walk to Barnes & Noble. It is housed in a historic building downtown that used to be a movie theater – it is just so cool looking with the domed high ceilings with some twinkle lights and a fun place to walk around to look at books, magazines and maybe get a Starbucks coffee.
So where I am going with this is I tend to check out the latest food magazines from time to time and the new one from Cuisine Holiday caught my eye with desserts and cookies. I just bought it with no real plan but then it turned out I needed a dessert for Saturday night so I tried this Pumpkin Spice Cake.
I’m calling it by this name but the magazine called it Perfect Pumpkin Bars and guess what – they are! So moist with lots of spices and a cream cheese and white chocolate frosting.
It also comes together quite easy and one that I think could (and should) make an appearance at your dessert table.
I also liked the toppings they suggested – chopped craisins, pecans and crystallized ginger – plain would be fine too but this just gave it a little boost. The DIY Guy and guests really enjoyed it and I think you will too!
Sadly my browsing days will be over at the end of December, B&N’s lease is up and they are moving out of our downtown… bummed! Will definitely miss that place!!
Another pumpkin recipe – Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tbl vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 oz white chocolate chopped
- 12 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 sticks of soft butter
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 11 1/2″ x 16 1/2″ baking sheet with nonstick spray
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar, brown sugar, oil, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla
- In another large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and all the spices then sift into the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together until smooth then pour and spread batter onto baking sheet.
- Bake the bars until a toothpick comes out clean (about 20-25 minutes)
- Let cool completely before frosting
- Frosting - melt the chocolate in the microwave checking every 30 seconds and stirring until melted (about 2 minutes)
- Beat cream cheese and butter on high until smooth then add melted chocolate and beat to combine well
- Add the powdered sugar on low until smooth
- Spread over cooled bars, cut and store in refrigerator
- If desired garnish with chopped craisins, pecan pieces and crystallized ginger
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.