You will love waking up to this Mexican Breakfast Skillet Pizza that will be your favorite meal of the day! The skillet is lined with crispy tator tots, lots of gooey cheese, sausage, eggs, green chilies and great toppings.
The weekend is coming and if you are like me, you probably have some extra time to spend in the kitchen making a heartier breakfast. The weekdays are usually a bowl of cereal, maybe a bagel or some yogurt. I like keeping it simple and quick so I can get out the door for work. Weekend mornings are for lounging around, staying in PJs, lingering over coffee, and not being on a time schedule. Oh ya, I love the weekends!
I think what you will love about this Mexican breakfast skillet pizza is that maybe it combines all of your favorite breakfast items in one place. The tator tots provide a nice crispy base for the sausage, eggs, cheese, red pepper and green chilies. We enjoyed it topped with salsa, green onions and fresh avocado. It's a flavor explosion in your mouth and a great way to start your day. Ole!
I have some other suggestions for you to try that are perfect weekend ideas - Apple Pancakes and Sweet Potato Sausage Hash. And for those quick breakfast ideas, I suggest these two you can make ahead Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies and Overnight Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal. Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
Okay, this is totally off topic but kind of related to my morning routine. Do any of you play Words with Friends? My friend Chris and I have anywhere from 6-8 games going at once. So one of the reasons I need a quick breakfast during the week, is that usually I'm catching up with that before I head to work. Sometimes I find myself running late because I just need to play one more word! In my mind breakfast is good for the body and games are good for the brain, right? 🙂
I was inspired to make this recipe from The Gunny Sack - her looks awesome too!
- 40 crispy crown tator tots
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- 4 breakfast sausage links (about 4 oz)
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (drained and rinsed)
- 8 eggs
- 6 ounces shredded mexican cheese blend
- Green onions, sliced
- 1 Avocado
- Preheat oven to 425
- Line 4 5" skillets with 10 tots each - you will need to cut the ones in the middle to fit
- Bake for 15 minutes
- While tots are baking, cook crumbled sausage in a skillet until about half way cooked then add red peppers and green chilies
- When sausage is done remove from skillet and set aside
- Scramble the 8 eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper
- Cook the eggs in the same skillet as the sausage (ok if sausage grease is left behind)
- Cook eggs until they are a bit set but still quite "wet"
- When skillets are done, press down tots to smash
- Divide the cheese in half then divide that half and place ¼ of amount onto each skillet, divide sausage mixture and also divide onto each skillet
- Divide the egg mixture on the skillets and lastly divide the remaining cheese onto each skillet
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove, cool slightly and top with green onions, salsa and avocado
Reminder handles to skillets will be hot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 609Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 432mgSodium: 1077mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.