This quick, easy and festive Mardi Gras Sweet Salty Bark is a great party or snack idea for Fat Tuesday. It has salty pretzels, chocolate M&Ms all nestled in white melted bark. And oh, don't forget the sprinkles!
I'm not from New Orleans nor have I ever been there during Mardi Gras season but I'm in the festive mood to celebrate here in the midwest. We can still indulge in eating and that is the best part. The more food the merrier - beads or not!
This sweet and salty bark is a great snack and would really work well these other Mardi Gras type recipes I have made in the past. Start your morning off with these King Cake Donuts and for dinner try this tasty Jambalaya (that is made on one pot).
Mardi Gras is also known as Fat Tuesday and the last party day before the beginning of Lent. One tradition that I grew up with from my Italian grandmother is a sweet treat that we called Honey Balls (I think the proper name is Castoniole but I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling).
These are fritters the size of donut holes, that are flavored with grated lemon and anise. The doughy batter is mixed and then dropped by a tablespoon into hot oil. Once these are done, they are placed in a bowl and warm honey is drizzled all over.
These are still a huge hit in our family and I make them every year. It was the only time we had them and we all looked forward to them all year long. My taste buds are getting ready!
Hope you enjoy this bark recipe and the other recipes I have listed - try them, you'll like them 🙂
Mardi Gras Sweet Salty Bark tips:
- Use pure white vanilla melting chips (ie like Wilton); be sure to follow directions so you don't overheat them
- Assemble on a rimmed cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper (better clean up)
- As soon as the melted bark is poured, add the other ingredients so they stick well
- Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up
- Break or cut the bark into bite-size pieces
- Store in an airtight container
Other recipes you might enjoy for Mardi Gras:
- 24 oz. white bark (i.e. Wilton)
- ½ cup green M&Ms
- ½ cup purple M&Ms
- ½ cup yellow M&Ms
- 1 cup pretzel sticks
- 2 tablespoons green jimmie sprinkles
- 2 tablespoons purple jimmie sprinkles
- 2 tablespoons yellow jimmie sprinkles
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper
- Place the pretzels on the parchment paper (leave 1" around edges)
- Place about ¼ cup of each of the M&Ms on parchment paper
- Melt white chips according to directions
- Pour melted chocolate on pretzel/M&M mixture
- Sprinkle the remaining M&Ms and colored jimmies on chocolate
- Place pan in refrigerator about 30 minutes to cool
- Cut or break into pieces; store in an airtight container
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!