It’s throwback Thursday and today I’m sharing one of my absolute favorite soups Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. I first made this recipe in September 2011 and today it has gotten a makeover – well, same recipe but new pictures…
I originally had this soup at a Panera restaurant – I fell in love but then sadly it was only a seasonal item so the search was on for a copycat recipe. Whew, luckily one was found that I think is pretty close and comes together very quickly.
If you’ve been following me for a bit, my photography has become an evolution. Here is the throwback picture….
And current shot.
Two years ago I received a Canon Rebel T3i as a Christmas gift (probably because I was doing a lot of whining). I read the manual, did a lot of research and just started snapping away. I learned about composition, lighting and minor editing which has helped. I’m definitely not an expert – it’s still a work in progress but getting happier with my photos.
Hope you are staying warm. If not, give this soup a try!
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (small pieces)
- 1 celery stalk sliced
- 2 tbls finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 bay leave
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- -lemon slices for garnish
- Place all of the ingredients (except lemon juice) in a large pot, bring to boil; reduce heat to low and cover and simmer 25 minutes – stirring occasionally
- Remove chicken from soup; shred into small pieces and return to pot. Add lemon juice and mix well. Discard bay leave
- Serve and top with a lemon slice if desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 957mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
Another soup recipe you might like – Southwest Chicken Barley