Have you been looking for a hearty chili that sticks to your ribs and is full of flavor? Then I think John's Lucky 27 Chili will be an answer to that!
So you might be asking why the name - well John, aka the DIY Guy, made this chili for a work challenge, it has 27 ingredients and it won! Hence the name and he gets the bragging rights. I didn't lift a finger on this one. He got the groceries, did all the prep, cooking AND even cleaned up the kitchen - way to go!
I can't say I always clean up when I go use his workshop for my projects.
This chili has been our go-to recipe and is often requested by friends and family - it makes a lot and it also freezes well. Since we try to make it the day ahead, we'll use the crockpot to reheat and serve it from.
I'm glad he shared his 'secret' recipe with me and now you can enjoy it as well. Serving it with a side of corn bread with honey butter it the perfect accompaniment. Stay warm friends!
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 3 (15 oz) cans chili beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans in spicy sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 green chili peppers chopped
- 2 bacon strips broken into pieces
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 6 oz dark beer (e.g. Leines Red)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Crumble the ground meats and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to blend.
- Simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Best if allowed to cool, refrigerate, and reheat/serve the next day.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 1245mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 31g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!