This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Have you been looking for a hearty chili that sticks to your ribs and is full of flavor? Then I think John’s Lucky 27 Chili will be an answer to that!
So you might be asking why the name – well John, aka the DIY Guy, made this chili for a work challenge, it has 27 ingredients and it won! Hence the name and he gets the bragging rights. I didn’t lift a finger on this one. He got the groceries, did all the prep, cooking AND even cleaned up the kitchen – way to go! I can’t say I always clean up when I go use his workshop for my projects.
This chili has been our go-to recipe and is often requested by friends and family – it makes a lot and it also freezes well. Since we try to make it the day ahead, we’ll use the crockpot to reheat and serve it from.
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 3 (15 oz) cans chili beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans in spicy sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 green chili peppers chopped
- 2 bacon strips broken into pieces
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 6 oz dark beer (e.g. Leines Red)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Crumble the ground meats and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to blend.
- Simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Best if allowed to cool, refrigerate, and reheat/serve the next day.
I’m glad he shared his ‘secret’ recipe with me and now you can enjoy it as well. Serving it with a side of corn bread with honey butter it the perfect accompaniment. Stay warm friends!