Summer and ice cream go together like PB&J, mac-n-cheese and well, you get the idea. Mint Chocolate Chip with Fudge happens to be my favorite flavor (at least this summer!)
We have a local shop called Flapdoodles that the DIY Guy and I have been known to frequent every couple weeks. He'll try different flavors like Salty Caramel and Coffee Chip. I keep going back to the mint and thought it was time to try and make my own.
A couple years ago I bought a Cuisinart maker. This machine works really slick - just combine your ingredients, pour in the bowl and in about 20 minutes your ice cream is done.
I did learn a trick from a friend of mine who puts in some vodka as it is mixing - not for the alcohol content but it helps prevents the ice cream from becoming too hard and forming ice. It worked!
What flavors are you screaming for this summer??
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Want to see more ice cream treats?
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- ⅓-1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a medium bowl until well blended then set aside
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over low heat until it begins to steam (not boil)
- Whisk in the egg mixture (2 tablespoons at a time) until it is all mixed – whisk constantly so eggs don’t “cook”
- After mixture is fully combined cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture is thick and smooth about 20-25 minutes. Mixture should coat back of spoon.
- Add mint extract, vodka and cool in refrigerator until cold.
- Transfer the cold mixture to your ice cream maker and process as directed – add the chocolate chunks the last 3 minutes of mixing.
- Combine the hot fudge sauce and corn syrup
- Place about half of the mixture into a loaf type pan, spoon half of the hot fudge sauce and swirl; add remaining ice cream mixture and rest of hot fudge and swirl.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of ice cream and freeze at least 4 hours.
- Ice cream can be place in refrigerator about 15-20 minutes before serving
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 2gSugar: 53gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.