Hooray-Spring is in the air! It officially arrived a couple days ago and I think we need to celebrate with these Lemon Glazed Sugar Cookies. Sound pretty good to you? I’m ready to move forward, forget winter and enjoy getting outside again. The house needs to be opened up, aired out and since I forgot to take the screens off last winter, I’m ready to do that too 🙂 What do you look forward to the most in the spring? I love seeing the daffodils come up, the trees starting to bud and seeing the neighbors again! We all hibernate in the winter, so the warmer days are great to hang outside and see what everyone has been up to. It’s a refreshing time of the year just like these lemon cookies! Hmmm – I’ll need to make another batch to share with them soon.
Lemons to me are like sunshine – so bright, refreshing and pleasing to the taste buds. I could have something lemony every day! Sweet or savory dishes are ok with me too. What I liked about making these cookies is that they are super easy and the dough does not need to be refrigerated. If you have about 45 minutes to spare, you can whip these up. You will also love the chewy texture.
With Easter coming up next weekend, these would be perfect to serve to guests or bring to a gathering. In fact, I’ll be doing just that. We’ll be going to some friend’s house this year and I’m usually in charge of sweets. I’ll want to make something a bit fancier too but these cookies will be coming along too. I’ll need to start figuring out what else to make. Since I’ve got the lemon cravings satisfied, I’m sure I’ll go with chocolate! You can never go wrong with that either, right?
Lemon Sugar Cookies with Glaze
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!
I love squeezing my lemons the old fashioned way.