Oatmeal cookies happen to be one of the DIY Guy’s favorite. Me, well, I’m more of a chocolate chip cookie kind of gal. But this past weekend was all about the dad’s (right!) so I wanted to make him something to enjoy over the weekend. I’ve tried different mix-ins before like pecans, coconut and of course chocolate, but these are definitely more on the fruity side with dried cherries, dried blueberries and white chocolate chunks. A bit on the patriotic side and a lot on flavor!
I love baking treats and in the past, I have sent them to work with John. Well, a few months ago, he started working for a new company (and retiring from his current job) that meant he had to work from home. His former co-workers were happy for him and the new job but a bit sad the treats would be stopping. I really need to surprise them some day and drop some off. Right?
Oatmeal Cookies Red White and Blue
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups oatmeal (quick or regular)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 4 oz. white chocolate bar (not chips) chopped roughly
- In a large mixer combine the butter, brown sugar, and sugar beating until well mixed (light and fluffy)
- Add in egg, baking soda, salt, vanilla and mix well
- Add flour and combine until mixed
- Stir in by hand the oatmeal, blueberries, cherries and white chocolate
- Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Form a small ball of dough (a bit larger than a walnut) and place on paper about 2" apart (I get 12 per sheet)
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges of cookie are light brown
- Remove from oven and keep on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely
- Store in a container with a lid (I placed a piece of bread on the bottom of container and place some parchment paper over it before adding cookies)
If you are looking for more oatmeal cookies, here are some you might enjoy.
More cookies here!