Old fashioned peanut butter cookies are soft and chewy. This easy peanut butter cookie recipe is what you have been looking for!
Back to baking this week with these Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies. I had a craving for some PB cookies and thought I would look through my mom’s handwritten cookbooks to find her recipe. I searched through the stash of notebooks I had but no luck!
So now I’m not sure if her recipe came from a cookbook or one she didn’t happen to write down. After some searching, I came across this recipe that seemed like a winner to me and it was!
I love how soft and chewy these cookies are – I had to really resist eating a big pile, so I sent most of the cookies to work with the DIY Guy – always a good choice for my self-control! And much appreciated by his co-workers.
As I mentioned, I was craving these cookies because they remind me of my mom and how she always had some sort of after school snack for us. It was an anticipated event of the day. We’d come running in the door after getting off the bus, drop our book bags, and head into the kitchen for snack time.
If we got peanut butter cookies, that was the best! Just a little something to tie us over until dinner time – then if we were really lucky we got to have these again for dessert!
What kind of traditions do you remember loving as a kid or what traditions do you want to start for your kids or grandkids?
Go ahead – make a batch and grab an icy cold glass of milk! I’m sure these would be a great hit for the kiddoes for an after school snack!
I know I will be making these again soon!
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
This Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookie recipe is what you have been looking for!
- 1 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Cream together the peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla; mixing well
- Add the egg and beat in until just blended
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking soda
- Slowly add the cream mixture until just blended
- Roll into 1" balls, slightly flatten with your hand then criss-cross with a fork (dip fork in flour to prevent sticking)
- Bake for 8 minutes then cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely
- Cookie will firm up a bit when they cool - do not overbake
Other cookies you might like: