I'm super excited that it is the 12th of the month so we can share with you what the #12bloggers have been up to with this month's ingredient of squash (think pumpkin, butternut, etc). Whether it be sweet or savory you desire, we have you covered with some fantastic recipes! Being Italian you would think I would have made gnocchis before. Sure, I've had some but have never given them a try. So this month I brought to the show these Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Brown Butter Sauce topped with crispy sage. Perfect for the fall or any time!
Being this was my first time, I was a bit worried they may turn into little lead balloons. I've heard the key is not overworking the dough and not adding in too much flour. These were dense but definitely the right consistency and with the brown butter sauce and sage - perfecto!
Pumpkin Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4-6 minutes
Yield 2-4 servings
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg yolk
- About 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8-10 fresh sage leaves
- parmesan cheese
- To make gnocchi combine the pumpkin, egg, salt and nutmeg. Add in by wooden spoon the flour until a soft dough forms (up to 1 1/4 cups flour or a tad more).
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 1 minute and then form into 4 rolls about 1" in diameter.
- Cut off about an inch and roll onto a gnocchi board to get ridges (or use a fork)
- Set aside until all are done
- In a large sauce pan bring water to boil and add about 2 teaspoons of salt.
- In small batches, place gnocchi in water - they will float to top when done. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat until all are done.
- In a medium skillet add the butter and heat over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook until butter starts to brown. Remove from heat, remove leaves then place gnocchi in skillet and place on low heat until they are heated through (season with salt and pepper to taste)
- Remove and dish up - top with crispy sage and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
Powered by Recipage
Baked Pizza Spaghetti Squash by Big Bear's Wife
Savory Butternut Squash & Bacon Biscuits by Betsy Life
Maple Glazed Butternut Squash with Bacon by Home Cooking Memories
Pumpkin Gnocchi by Cooking on the Front Burner
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake by Love Bakes Good Cakes
Chorizo and Butternut Squash Hash by Thyme for Cocktails
Pumpkin Fritters by Bread Booze Bacon
Easy Pumpkin Bread Pudding by A Night Owl
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter by Pink Cake Plate
Hearty Squash and Green Bean Chili by I Love My Disorganized Life
Pumpkin Pie Pops by See Vanessa Craft