So you might be asking why the name - well John, aka the DIY Guy, made this chili for a work challenge, it has 27 ingredients and it won! Hence the name and he gets the bragging rights. I didn't lift a finger on this one. He got the groceries, did all the prep, cooking AND even cleaned up the kitchen - way to go! I can't say I always clean up when I go use his workshop for my projects.
This chili has been our go-to recipe and is often requested by friends and family - it makes a lot and it also freezes well. Since we try to make it the day ahead, we'll use the crockpot to reheat and serve it from.
John's Lucky 27 Chili
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 3 (15 oz) cans chili beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans in spicy sauce
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 green chili peppers chopped
- 2 bacon strips broken into pieces
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 6 oz dark beer (e.g. Leines Red)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Crumble the ground meats and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to blend.
- Simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. After 2 hours, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Best if allowed to cool, refrigerate, and reheat/serve the next day.
Powered by Recipage
I'm glad he shared his 'secret' recipe with me and now you can enjoy it as well. Serving it with a side of corn bread with honey butter it the perfect accompaniment. Stay warm friends!