Head to your local Farmer's Market and then come home to make this Fresh Corn Chowder Soup.
Summer produce is really putting on a show! This past Saturday I went to our local Farmer's market and came home with the most colorful, freshest and mouthwatering veggies. I wandered from stand to stand buying a little bit here and there to spread the love to our local producers! One of the most popular places with the biggest line with the corn man.... I got 14 ears for $5. I thought that was a good deal.
In addition, I bought some eggplant, tomatoes, lettuce, cukes, and mint. You might be wondering why all the produce - well the occasion was the DIY Guy's birthday which was this past Sunday. We had invited some friends over for dinner and I wanted to make a few of his favorite dishes. (more on those throughout the week).
While chowder might be considered a fall or winter dish, there is nothing like fresh corn that is slightly charred on the grill to kick it up a notch! Also, you may decide to roast your own red peppers or buy the jarred (I did jarred this time).
Fresh Corn Chowder
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 7 ears fresh corn, husked
- 3/4 jarred roasted peppers, chopped (be sure to drain well on paper towels)
- 3 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes (you can leave skins on)
- 2 cups heavy cream
1. Turn on grill and grill corn (spry with PAM first) until slightly charred but still crisp-tender (about 15 minutes). Place corn in covered container and keep until needed.
2. Sauté bacon in large dutch oven until just crisp then add butter and onion and sauté until onion is soft and pale about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle flour and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly
3. Gradually add in broth and potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes or until soft
4. Cut corn off cobs then add to broth along with roasted peppers and heavy cream. Season with S&P. Simmer (very low) until slightly thickened – about 15-20 minutes
Powered by Recipage
This was a hit with John and our friends....
Stay tuned for our other menu items! Happy Birthday John.... and as I'm typing he's playing with his gift - a new Garmin that has voice control... he's like a kid in a candy store!!