These Churro Pancakes are really easy to make. They are super fluffy, brushed with butter and dipped in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Then drizzled with a warm spicy chocolate sauce. Absolutely fantastic!
Oh boy, you are in for a real treat today, because we are making breakfast decadent with these Churro Pancakes with a Spicy Chocolate Sauce. Do I have your attention?
Cinco de Mayo is around the corner and your family would be thrilled with these tasty pancakes dripping in yummy chocolate sauce. Seriously, these pancakes should be considered a dessert, but nah, let's start the day catering to your sweet tooth and celebrate with an easy pancakes recipe! Ole!
- white flour
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
- heavy cream
- cayenne pepper
Ok, I have to admit I've never had a churro, but I've seen so many recipes around that I knew eventually I would want to give them a try (in a pancake form).
They kind of remind me of an Italian treat that I grew up eating called Pizza Frite - which is basically pizza dough formed into an 6-8" disk, fried and then dusted with confectioners sugar.
They were my favorites at all the fairs around town. And if we were lucky, we would come home from school and mom would have a batch ready for us.
A typical churro is made of a pastry (similar to what used to make cram puffs) and refried and coated in cinnamon sugar. These pancakes have similar taste!
Leftover pancakes can be store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Use a microwave to warm them up (about 10 seconds)
Do not overmix the batter so when it has small lumps you can stop mixing. Also fresh baking powder helps.
With all the yummy chocolate sauce!
When making pancakes be sure to only flip them once to keep them from getting flat. You will turn the first side when small bubbles are around the edges.
Sprinkle with more cinnamon/sugar mixture if you like.
Get the Recipe
- ¾ cup white flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 ½ cup milk (1 or 2%)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl combine the two flours, ⅛ cup sugar, 1 ½ t cinnamon, baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder and salt - whisk to combine
- In a medium bowl beat together the egg and egg white, milk and 2 T melted butter
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until mixed well but not overbeat
- Let batter sit for about 15 minutes
- Mix in a small plate the ½ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon and set aside
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt the chocolate chips then whisk in the heavy cream, 2 T butter, 1 t cinnamon and the cayenne pepper... stir constantly until it is well combined - turn off heat and set aside
- Heat a griddle over medium heat until drops of water "dance" across when dropped on hot griddle.
- Add a dab of butter on spot where pancake mix will be placed then place about ⅓ cup batter on top
- Cook on one side about 3-4 minutes until small bubbles form around edge and seem a bit dry
- Flip and cook about 2 minutes until down
- Use a bit of soft butter on each side of the pancake then dip pancakes in the cinnamon sugar mixture that is on the plate.
- Top with the chocolate sauce and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 767Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 789mgCarbohydrates: 101gFiber: 7gSugar: 55gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!