This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Churro pancakes topped with a spicy chocolate sauce – This easy pancakes recipe is a great way to kick off your Cinco de Mayo celebration. Ole!
Oh boy, you are in for a real treat today, because we are making breakfast decadent with these Churro Pancakes with a Spicy Chocolate Sauce. Do I have your attention?
Cinco de Mayo is around the corner and your family would be thrilled with these tasty pancakes dripping in yummy chocolate sauce. Seriously, these pancakes should be considered a dessert, but nah, let’s start the day catering to your sweet tooth and celebrate with an easy pancakes recipe! Ole!
Ok, I have to admit I’ve never had a churro, but I’ve seen so many recipes around that I knew eventually I would want to give them a try (in a pancake form). They kind of remind me of an Italian treat that I grew up eating called Pizza Frite – which is basically pizza dough formed into an 6-8″ disk, fried and then dusted with confectioners sugar. They were my favorites at all the fairs around town. And if we were lucky, we would come home from school and mom would have a batch ready for us.
Churros are a bit similar, as they are a dough made in about a bread stick length, deep fried and rolled in cinnamon sugar. They originated in Spain many centuries ago and are enjoyed for breakfast, a snack or dessert. I’m not sure if back in the day if they dipped theirs in chocolate but many of the recipes found on the web today include a sauce.
And speaking of sauces, this churro pancakes sauce has a kick to it, with a bit of cayenne pepper. It goes perfectly with the sweet cinnamon!
What other ways do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Have you ever tried Deep Fried Ice Cream? Be sure to see the recipe I am linking below that is tried and true. And if you are inclined to have a tasty beverage (margarita), I’m including one of those too! Let’s keep the celebration going all day long!
Naked churro pancakes… good on their own, but oh, that sauce!
With all the yummy chocolate sauce!
Sprinkle with more cinnamon/sugar mixture if you like.
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup milk (1 or 2%)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl combine the two flours, 1/8 cup sugar, 1 1/2 t cinnamon, baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and salt - whisk to combine
- In a medium bowl beat together the egg and egg white, milk and 2 T melted butter
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until mixed well but not overbeat
- Let batter sit for about 15 minutes
- Mix in a small plate the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon and set aside
- In a small saucepan over low heat melt the chocolate chips then whisk in the heavy cream, 2 T butter, 1 t cinnamon and the cayenne pepper... stir constantly until it is well combined - turn off heat and set aside
- Heat a griddle over medium heat until drops of water "dance" across when dropped on hot griddle.
- Add a dab of butter on spot where pancake mix will be placed then place about 1/3 cup batter on top
- Cook on one side about 3-4 minutes until small bubbles form around edge and seem a bit dry
- Flip and cook about 2 minutes until down
- Use a bit of soft butter on each side of the pancake then dip pancakes in the cinnamon sugar mixture that is on the plate.
- Top with the chocolate sauce and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 767 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 118mg Sodium: 789mg Carbohydrates: 101g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 55g Protein: 14g
Other recipes to try: