This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
These chocolate Irish Cream Glazed Donuts are baked – not fried – and have a thick layer of chocolate ganache and festive sprinkles. They are so easy to make and are perfect for breakfast for a sweet treat!
Happy Friday all! I’m so glad the week is winding down and looking forward to a relaxing weekend. It’s still cold and we’ve had a bit of snow off and on all week. When is that spring thaw coming?? I’m so ready, though I shouldn’t complain too much, as we spent a week in Cabo a couple weeks ago basking in high 70 degrees and sun. I certainly got my vitamin D fix! And speaking of fixes, do you need a chocolate one? Why of course you do.
I jazzed up these donuts with sprinkles for St. Patrick’s Day but you could certainly change up the colors for any occasion or holiday. Sprinkles make everything fun, right? While we loved these Irish Cream glazed donuts, some of you might not be a fan of using alcohol in the ganache. That is totally fine and you could either substitute a non-alcohol Irish cream coffee creamer, whipped cream or milk (and perhaps some vanilla or mint extract).
As you will see in some pictures below, I made two sizes of donuts – in retrospect, I would not make the mini ones again. They were a bit harder to get out of the pan and turned out a little dry even though I was watching them carefully. I do love baked donuts though and in the past have made these Lemon Poppy Seeds ones and these Mini Olympic Vanilla Donuts (these have different color sprinkles).
And lastly I need to pose a very important question… do you call these donuts or doughnuts? Hmmmm….. inquiring minds want to know!
Start with naked dounts:
Dip in rich Irish Cream Ganache:
Milk is always a good idea!
Irish Cream Glazed Donuts
These chocolate Irish Cream Glazed Donuts are baked - not fried - and have a thick layer of chocolate ganache and festive sprinkles. They are so easy to make and are perfect for breakfast for a sweet treat!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powdered (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Irish Cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk for thinning
- Preheat oven to 450 and spray a donut pan with vegetable spray
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa and cornstarch
- Whisk in the sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, milk and oil until mixed well
- Place the batter in a large zip top bag and snip off the corner.
- Pipe the batter about 1/2 half up in the donut pan
- Bake for about 7-9 minutes until donut springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes in pan then remove onto cooling rack
- In a bowl (placed over simmering water - not touching) combine the chocolate and butter and stir to melt
- Whisk in the irish cream and powdered sugar until no lumps remain
- Dip each donut into icing and if texture is too thick, thin with milk
- Garnish with sprinkles
You may substitute coffee creamer, whipping cream or milk instead of the Irish Cream