Breakfast hand pies with ham and brie cheese are almost like having pie for breakfast! Don’t skip the tangy fig jam and stone ground mustard spread!
Move over desserts, savory pies are now making it to the breakfast table! Enjoy these flaky breakfast hand pies, stuffed with ham & brie cheese with a full flavor spread made with fig preserves and stone ground mustard that provides a bit of tang to your taste buds. They are a hearty alternative that you can grab and go when you are on the run or just want to sit back and relax with your favorite morning beverage.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? Ours is usually nothing too exciting with maybe a bowl of cereal, bagels or oatmeal. It is pretty standard stuff though the DIY Guy loves having something with more substance and these were a hit with him. One to two hand pies are filling enough to keep you fueled all morning long. We even enjoyed our leftovers for an afternoon snack. You can’t go wrong no matter what time you have them.
Don’t be fooled and think these are hard to make. They are pretty easy especially since you start with pre-made pie crust. Sure you can make your own, but I’m loving the crust I can get at Trader Joe’s (no affiliate link) in their frozen section. It comes out perfect every time and makes the prep a lot easier. Just let it defrost in the refrigerator the night before and you are ready to go in the morning. You could also chop the ham and make the spread that night too. In the morning, it can be assemble, bake and eat!
Oh and in case you are wondering, the breakfast hand pies are best eaten warm, but can be reheated in the microwave if needed.
Breakfast is served!
Enjoy the breakfast hand pies!
- 2 single pie crusts
- About 8 slices deli ham cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces brie cheese
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- On a floured surface unroll one pie crust, roll out a bit then cut 4 4" inch circles and place on parchment paper.
- Gather up remaining dough, roll out and cut 4 more 4" circles and set aside
- Combine the fig preserves, mustard and S&P
- Place a little heaping teaspoon of fig mustard mixture in the center and shape into a half dollar size
- With your hands (and since Brie cheese is soft), make a circle a little smaller than the fig mixture (about 1/8" thin) and place on tap of mixture
- Place ham on top of the mixture (about 2-3 tablespoons) and leave a 1/4" edge around the crust.
- Beat an egg with one tablespoon of water
- Brush egg wash around 1/4" of dough bottom
- Place another 4" circle of dough on top
- Use your fingers to pinch edges together and then use a fork to seal the edges
- Cut a small X in the dough
- Brush the pies with the egg wash
- Bake for about 25 minutes turning the cookie sheet 180 degrees half way through
- Remove from oven, remove pies to a cooling rack
- Let cool a bit before eating
- Repeat with the other pie crust to make four more pies (I did bake each sheet separately and you can prepare 2nd one while first sheet is baking)
You might see some oozing of mixture when baking - that is normal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 511mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g