These bacon wrapped fig appetizers are sure to be a hit at any party!
Have you ever had figs? I’ve had them in fig newtons but I guess that doesn’t count! I mean the fresh ones. Last week I was shopping at our local Trader Joe’s and saw some in the produce area. I’ve been really intrigued with all the recipes I’ve seen around the web lately and decided to give them a try.
I was able to find two recipes that sounded good so first up I’m sharing these easy to make Bacon Wrapped Fig Appetizers. If you love sweet and salty, these are for you! And of course anything with bacon is A-OK in my eyes.
So when I came home, the DIY Guy mentioned that his grandfather used to buy and eat these all the time. I was kind of surprised that I haven’t run across these before – I guess I need to branch out from getting my groceries at Target and go to real grocery stores (don’t worry Target – I still love you!).
You’ll notice the recipe calls for pre-cooked bacon and I would definitely use that as it is still pliable and really crisps nice and no extra bacon grease to deal with.
I really don’t know much about figs – like when they are in season or where they come from (I kinda doubt Minnesota) but I hope to run across them again. Stayed tuned later this week for the 2nd recipe I made. Can you guess what it might be?
Look how cute these look and yes, they do taste good fresh too!
And if you want to be really fancy, serve them individually.
More fun appetizers on my pinterest board
- 12 fresh figs
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional)
- Wedge of gorzonzola cheese
- 24 pecans halves
- 12 strips of pre-cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut figs in half lengthwise
- Place bourbon (or water) in a medium saucepan and add figs
- Bring to boil, remove from heat and steam with lid on for 15 minutes
- Remove figs and add a small wedge of gorgonzola cheese, top with a pecan, wrap with the bacon and secure with a toothpick on the uncut side
- Place on a rack that fits inside a large rimmed baking sheet
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes until bacon crisps up and browns
- Remove and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.