How does a side dish with bacon, corn and cheese sound? Your taste buds will be tantalized by this ba'corn cheese skillet!
Are you a fan of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives? Do you have any places in your town that has been featured? A few weeks ago the family was together and we were watching an episode where they featured this bacon corn cheese pasta skillet dish from The Bun Shop in Los Angeles. I think we were all drooling so I knew I had to give it a try.
What's not to like about crispy bacon, charred corn, gooey cheese and a bit of jalapeno for some kick? It's easy to make and made a great side dish when the DIY Guy made us some smoked ribs. Do I have your taste bud's attention?
Our town personally has not had any visits from Guy and his red Camaro. Though we did see it once at the opening of his restaurant in NYC called Guy's American Kitchen and Bar. John and I were in New York City five years ago and had just come out of the play Rock of Ages. We had planned on stopping there for a bite after the show but when we got to the restaurant, it was closed for an private event and sitting out front was his car. Pretty cool! We did go back the next night for dinner and had a good meal.
Anyway getting back to Triple D, I know he has visited some places in the Minneapolis area which is about an hour away from our place. I keep book marking some of the places and hope to give some a try. And I'm think if I ever get to LA (again), this place would be on my must stop list. (oh and they serve Spam sandwiches which I'm sure someone in this family would love-hint, not me!)
If you have a wok, then I would suggest making the Ba'corn cheese side dish in that - a skillet would work, too. The key is getting it hot enough so the ingredients cook quickly.
I think this side dish would be perfect at a cookout, served with Buffalo style hot dogs.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups sweet corn (I used frozen and thawed it)
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- Heaping ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set your oven to broil and on the top rack place a 5" cast iron skillet
- Preheat a skillet or wok over high heat
- Add the butter and when it melts add the bacon and stir until is is crispy (mine took 2 ½ minutes)
- Next add the jalapeno and corn with a bit of salt and pepper; stir until corn begins to char (about 3 minutes)
- Add in the garlic and half of the scallions and stir well
- Lastly add in half the cheese, mayo and half/half. Cook until cheese is melted
- Remove your skillet from the oven, pour the mixture in and sprinkled the remaining cheese on top
- Place under broiler again until cheese is browned then garnish with the remaining scallions.
Remember the skillet handle will be hot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!