This impressive Kale & Brussels Sprout Autumn Salad is a great way to enjoy healthy, leafy greens tossed with roasted butternut squash, crisp apples, crunchy candied pecans, red onions, tangy blue cheese, dried cranberries and drizzled with a maple vinaigrette. Whew I don't think I left anything out!
While this salad can be enjoyed any time of the year - it is especially makes a great, colorful main or side dish for the holidays.
I'm always inspired to make salads especially when they are bright and full of flavor. If you take a look at my Autumn Spinach Salad and Chopped Fall Quinoa Salad, they both use the maple vinaigrette dressing in today's recipe. Also learn how to make homemade cornbread croutons in the spinach salad recipe.
- shaved brussels sprouts
- shredded kale
- butternut squash
- red onions
- candied pecans
- blue cheese
- dried cranberries
- olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- white vinegar
- maple syrup
Please see recipe card for quantities.
The first step I like to do when using kale is to rub (with my hands) a bit of olive oil to coat the leaves and soften it up a bit.
Build the salad by placing the kale and brussels sprouts in a bowl and layer on the roasted butternut squash, apples, candied pecans, red onion, dried cranberries and blue cheese.
To make the maple vinaigrette, use a small food processor to combine the olive oil, white vinegar, salt, pepper, thyme, Dijon mustard, and maple syrup.
Now just drizzle on the dressing over the Kale & Brussels Sprout Autumn Salad and you are all set!
This recipe can be adjusted with other ingredients to make it to your own liking.
- Greens - spinach or romaine lettuce
- Nuts - walnuts or almond (either plain or candied)
- Cheese - goat cheese (mild flavor) or gorgonzola
- Fruit - any variety of apples (even green like Granny Smiths) will do or try a pear
- Vinegar - white, apple cider or champagne can be used
Keep refrigerated until ready to eat if made ahead. This salad holds up remarkably well since the kale and brussels sprouts are hardier greens that don't get soggy over time with dressing. The only item I would "hold on" to the end is adding the candied pecans. They will soften over time.
Keep your prep time easy by purchasing shredded kale, shaved brussels sprouts, pre-cut butternut squash and candied pecans. You do need to roast the squash prior to use but it easier if it is already cubed!
Get the Recipe
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 apple, cubed (can leave skin on)
- 1 ½ cups butternut squash, cubed and roasted
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup candied pecans
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup red onion, slivered
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Toss cubed butternut squash with olive oil and place on a rimmed cookie sheet
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes; stirring a couple times - should be fork tender
- Remove and let cool to room temperature
- Place kale in a bowl and massage with your hands about 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Add brussels sprouts, pecans, red onion, blue cheese, dried cranberries and cooled butternut squash
- To make vinaigrette, place ingredients in a small food processor and mix until combined.
- Drizzle over salad, toss and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 499mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 9gSugar: 31gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!