Soon love will be in the air so today I'm sharing a super easy Valentine treat that only needs five ingredients. These mini Cherry Chocolate Hand Pies would make a perfect treat for your sweetheart (young or old)! Flaky crust, tart cherries, a dab of chocolate almond spread (nutella) with a drizzle of glaze make an impressive dessert that is sure to please. These are simple and simply amazing. Just what cupid ordered!
Earlier this week we were expecting a blizzard - luckily it was on a day that I didn't have to work but I wasn't quite prepared to make this dessert so I ran out to 2 stores and picked up pie crust and paint before the snow started to fly! Yes, I could have made my own crust but I really love the crust I can get in the frozen section of Trader Joe's. It's the closest I have found to homemade and it works like a charm every time (and no, I'm not getting compensated to say this). I already had on hand a jar of their cherry preserves and nutella so once I got back home, I was all set.
I surprised the DIY Guy (who works from home) by going down to his office and having him sample the treats. He is always a willing taste tester and he thought they were amazing. Besides having these as a dessert after a meal, they would be perfect for your younger sweethearts as well by placing them in their lunch box as a surprise. They are also good as a grab and go treat and if they are a hit like our place, they'll disappear in no time.
You could always personalize your own hand pies by making them into circle shapes and cutting out a small heart of pie crust and placing on top. Experiment too with other fillings you might like - lemon curd comes to mine so next time I'll try that!
Cherry Chocolate Hand Pies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield about 12
- 2 pie crust rounds (I used Trader Joe's)
- Cherry Preserves
- Powdered sugar
- Egg white
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper
- Using a large cookie cutter, cut out shapes from one pie crust and place on lined cookie sheet
- Place about 1 teaspoon nutella on each and use your finger to smooth out leaving about a 1/4" edge
- Place about 1 1/2 teaspoon preserves on top of nutella and use your finger again to smooth out to the edge of nutella
- Cut out matching shapes on the next pie crust then place on top of bottoms
- Using a fork, chrimp edges
- Combine the egg white with a tablespoon of water then brush tops
- Cut a small X in dough
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until crust is getting golden brown
- Remove and cool
- In a small bowl add about 1/2 cup powdered sugar with a bit of water to get a glaze consistency.
- Drizzle over pies
Powered by Recipage
Here's another sweet for your sweetie dessert!