Apple pecan oatmeal breakfast cookies are a sweet but healthy breakfast treat. Easy to make, they're perfect for a grab 'n go snack!
Time is going fast and in this busy world and trying to get out the door, some of us - me included - might not have time for breakfast. Bummer, right? But today we have a remedy for that with these Apple Pecan Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies. They are the perfect answer when you need breakfast on the go and they are loaded with good stuff for that energy needed to start your day off. Sounding good?
Remember, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! And another reason to make a batch is that from start to finish, they take under 30 minutes. Keep a stash on hand that adults and kids alike can start their day off with, or any time a snack is needed (like after school).
Apple pecan oatmeal cookies are low in sugar and just packed full of good ingredients (my version includes dates).
If you don't like dates, then substitute raisins or dried cranberries. Not a fan of pecans, then walnuts would be fine too. We have a loaded apple tree, so I'm always trying to use them up, but feel free to swap out with pears. I'm sure you will find a combination that you will love. I haven't tried freezing them (since they disappearing so fast) but I don't see why you couldn't try that.
Speaking of busy times, September was a whirlwind for me. I was gone three weekends (without the DIY Guy). One weekend I attended a blogger conference called Blended in Arizona, the next weekend I went to Madison WI with a friend to their farmers market and last weekend I met my two sister-in-laws in Chicago for a belated birthday celebration for me. We ate at some wonderful places - Girl and The Goat, RPM Italian and Beatrix. Chicago is definitely a foodie town! AND next up tomorrow I am leaving for NY - this trip is not pleasure as my dad just moved into a nursing home and my brother and I are going for a visit to figure out next steps and move his furniture out of his senior apartment. Wish us luck.
I do plan on bringing a few apple pecan oatmeal breakfast cookies for the trip. We'll definitely be needing them to keep up our energy.
- 1 ½ cups diced apples that are peeled and cored (¼")
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium saucepan add the apples, brown sugar and honey. Saute over medium high heat about 5-7 minutes until soft - remove from stove and set aside
- In a small bowl combine the four, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- In a medium bowl combine with a whisk the coconut oil, applesauce, egg, vanilla and maple syrup
- Slowly stir the dry mixture into the wet then stir in the apples, oatmeal, pecans and dates
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and divide mixture into 18 scoops (about 2 tablespoons)
- Place 9 on a cookie sheet and flatten the scoops with your hand. These do not spread out as they bake.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until the outside of the cookie is firm
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on wire rack to cool
- Store in a tightly sealed container
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information provided is computer-generated and only an estimate. You may want to do your own research with the ingredients listed if you have concerns about health or specific diets.
- About the Author
- Recent Posts
- Recipe Index
We are all about sharing our love of good food so on the blog you will find easy recipes to enjoy with your family and friends. We hope to inspire you to host a gathering to create special memories. Most recipes are step by step so you can feel confident in the kitchen. Take a look around to find everything from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between!