We are getting into the season of celebrations – Memorial Day, 4th of July and way down the road Labor Day (but hey, let’s not rush it). You can make a patriotic statement with this tasty salad containing lots of juicy strawberries, plump blueberries and crunchy jicama (what’s this? keep reading). Sounds good so far, right? But be sure to drizzle it with some of the honey poppy seed vinaigrette. It’s a bit sweet and a bit tangy – perfect over these fresh ingredients.
Have you ever heard of jicama? It’s a root vegetable and honestly doesn’t have much of a taste (it is slightly sweet) but what it lacks in flavor, it makes up for with crunch, being low in calories and high in fiber. A great addition to any salad where you might be looking for some texture. I often use jicama in a veggie tray for something a bit different.
I used strawberries for the red part but feel free to substitute fresh raspberries. I think you might be stuck on the blueberries unless you find a blue fruit I don’t know about 🙂 I also scaled this recipe for just the DIY guy and myself but you could double or triple the ingredients and still have enough dressing. I have some leftover that I plan on adding to a green salad.
Do you have any traditions on Memorial Day? We always went on a picnic with my aunts, uncles and cousins. Everyone would bring something to share and a great time was had by all. Currently we don’t have a set tradition but we sure love getting together with our kids and grandkids.
Start with fresh ingredients.
Drizzle that dressing
Patriotic Honey Poppy Seed Salad
Let's hear it for the red, white and blue with this fresh salad drizzled with honey poppy seed dressing! It's worthy of any celebration!
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup diced jicama
- 2 tablespoons champagne or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- Combine in a medium bowl the strawberries, blueberries and jicama
- In a small food processor combine the vinegar, honey, mustard, poppy seeds, salt, pepper and oil - mix until combined
- Pour about 2 tablespoons dressing (or more to liking) over other ingredients and lightly toss until combine
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to eat (keeps about 1 day in refrigerator)