I’m always on the search for some side dishes that come together quick and on the flavorful side. This dish has some of my favorites – baby bellas, orzo pasta, thyme and a splash of wine! From start to finish this Quick Mushroom Orzo Pasta can be on your table in under 30 minutes. How’s that for easy? Just saute some chicken and add a side vegetable and your entire dinner can be ready in that time too! Because having a quick dinner means you have time to do other stuff you love especially if you get help on clean up detail 🙂
I’m not sure how your nights go, but mine is usually work, come home, make dinner and then “me” time. That could include just plopping on the couch and watching some favorite shows, maybe editing some photos and post writing, catching up with some other social media stuff or reading a good book. This time of year once I’m home, I’m staying put. The winter is too cold and dark to be running out – I save errand running for my day off on Fridays. Most weekends we spend seeing family and hanging out with the grand kids, dinner with friends or occasionally a movie. Life is busy so having quick meals to make is the best.
I also had a thought – what if you wanted to make this a complete one dish meal? Just saute some chopped chicken in the skillet (in step 2) then proceed with the mushrooms as stated. I’m thinking having chicken pieces in the rice would be delicious! And remember I mentioned have some veggies on the side? Well, I’ve been enjoying my spiralizer attachment on my Kitchen Aid and spiralizing zucchini, then popping them in the microwave with a bit of olive oil and S&P for about 3 1/2 minutes. So fresh and healthy! Hope you enjoy this dinner idea.
Quick Mushroom Orzo Pasta
Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda pasta
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Crumble the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste mixing it in well. Cook for 3 minutes (the paste will turn a rusty brown color)
- Next add in the tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock. Combine and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat then simmer mixture for 30 minutes
- Add in basil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook pasta separately (see notes in blog post) while soup is simmering.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and salt and set aside
- When ready to serve, add in the pasta and stir well
- Place in each bowl about 2 tablespoons ricotta mixture 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese
- Ladle soup over top and stir to combine
- Stir and enjoy!
Looking for other side dishes: