This Mexican Quinoa salad is full of fresh ingredients and has a zippy jalapeno vinaigrette! Perfect for a side or main dish.
I really love Mexican flavors - could it be the black beans, corn, avocado, peppers? It's all of that plus the jalapeno vinaigrette as well! Your taste buds will come alive when your fork hits your tongue. With Cinco de Mayo coming up in about a month or so, this would make a great side dish along with a side of some burritos (and a margarita). Also keep it in mind for summer picnics as well - your friends and family will thank you.
As I always mention, you could definitely add some of your favorite ingredients too. Maybe some different peppers, red onions and if you wanted to make this a complete meal, some cooked chicken would be a great addition. The dressing wasn't too spicy but I think it might get a little spicier as it sits. I only used about 1/2 of a medium sized jalapeno. If you like spice, then definitely add some more. I did not use all the dressing but you certainly could depending on how much you would like.
Hope you enjoy this tasty salad! Would love to know what other salads you might like! Another one of our favorites is this Crunchy Apple Almond Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing.
Mexican Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 large red pepper diced
- 1/2 large orange pepper diced
- 11 oz canned corn drained
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapenos
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- Place the quinoa and water (or broth) in a medium saucepan, bring to boil then cover and cook for 15 minutes or until done. Let rest with top on for about 5 minutes
- In a large bowl combine the peppers, onion, black beans, corn, cilantro and avocado - toss gently until mixed and set aside
- In a small food processor combine the cider, oil, honey, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro dijon mustard, garlic and S&P; blend until very smooth - there will be some small pieces left
- When the quinoa has cooled a bit add to the veggies, toss to mix and then drizzle the dressing over and mix again.
- This can be served warm or chilled
Powered by Recipage
Pour that tasty dressing over your salad!